Toplink bracket modification

/ Toplink bracket modification #1  

Mosey

Veteran Member
Tractor
2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.
I'm planning to buy a hydraulic toplink. I haven't figured out the exact size I need yet. I was looking at the bracket on the back of my TC29D where the toplink attaches to the tractor. The bracket is about 4 1/2" long. It has 2 holes near the end of it. I've always used the top one. I'm considering drilling a new hole about 2" back from the other 2, but right in the center. See attachment (side view), the new hole is in red. That way, I could get a longer toplink and just attach it in the new hole for applications that needed a shorter one. Is it as simple as I think, or am I missing something? Will this weaken the bracket too much?

Attachments

• 47-146165-temp3.jpg
    47-146165-temp3.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 133
   / Toplink bracket modification #2  
Looking at your diagram, I think it would weaken the bracket a bit, but I don't know how much. However, if that was the only attachment point you used, I would say that it would be stronger than usig the other two (shorter moment arm and all that).

/ Toplink bracket modification #3  
Strength is not the issue here. Your link needs to have horizontal motion(sidesway) at the tractor side. If you connect the link that far back in the bracket it may not have enough room to move. Sidestressing the hydraulic link by rubbing(crashing) against the bracket could cause it to fail, maybe dangerously so. Just use the the two holes you have. Try to match the length of the hydraulic link with your original but it does not have to be perfect. I never shortened or lengthened my original toplink to the extreme ends.

/ Toplink bracket modification #4  
Like the other guys said, that's not a modification I would risk making.