Snowblowing rules of thumb

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #1  

smfcpacfp

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
As I contemplate the possible need to get the snowblower out tomorrow, I have developed some snow blowing "rules of thumb" over the years that some of you newbies to snow blowing may want to consider. I figure that I have moved about 5,400 inches of snow with my three snow blowing rigs over the last 26 years. Feel free to add to my list, I am always looking for new techniques:

RULE 1. Don't put your hand in the moving augers. This is an obvious one. I have occassionaly stuck a broom handle down the chute in the spring with the blower running, but that is about as dumb as I get. I have develped a fondness for my appendages over the years.

RULE 2. Make sure all of the crap that can break your blower and shear pins are out of the way, before the first snow.. When I have broken shear pins, it was always at the beginning of the season when a stray piece of firewood got in the way. Last week I went out with the rake and cleaned up any potential impediments.

RULE 3. When you are going to have a major storm, if you can clean it in increments. Why stress the equipment and yourself? Anyway snowblowing with my rig is fun. If the snow I just blew drifts back into the driveway, I just do it again - twice as much fun with the same snow.

RULE 4. Always clean all of the snow off of your equipment when you are done. I learned this the hard way the second time that I snow blowed. The snow blower was making a **** of a racket when I started it, and then I noticed black smoke coming from the drive belts in the back. So I shut it down and called the dealer. "Didn't you clean out the augers and impeller after you finished? When the snow melts it freezes on the bottom of the impeller assembly such that the impeller won't turn." Duh, nobody told me to do that.

Now I clean off everything, but especially anything which if frozen could make it difficult to start the machine. With my new rig, I wipe all of the water off of the cab that I can get to, clean off the wiper blades and pull them away from the wind shield. Of course, it helps if you have a garage. I also put a piece of wood below the blower so it doesn't freeze to the floor.

RULE 5. Make sure nothing critical is frozen when you start blowing. This is a continuation of what I said in 4. If you have a rig like mine (which shuts off the tractor if no one is in the seat when a PTO device is engaged) put a mirror where you can see that the impeller and augers are spinning freely and the chute rotation is working freely before you have at it.

RULE 6. Never put the blower on the ground on a gravel driveway the first time you use it, unless you enjoy changing sheer bolts. This rule is just for those of us who don't have a paved driveway. I have a gravel driveway, so a good first snowblowing is a key to no problem for the rest of the winter.

Like everyone else we get a few snow falls early where you know it is going to melt, so this next step is the one I take when we get our first real snowfall. First I run my SUV up-and-down the driveway until the snow is packed down into the gravel before I snow blow for the first time. Then I run the blower but keep it off the ground about an inch. This way the ground will freeze better for future efforts. The next time I run the blower on the ground with the skid plates as low as they go. We don't get much thawing once the snow starts in earnest.

RULE 7. When the snow is deep, take smaller cuts of snow. My first run in the snow is very very slow, usually painfully slow. My next cut might be a half of the width of the blower or less. I would rather make more runs and use a little more fuel, then be replacing belts as I did with my old snowblower.

The guy who wrote the Kubota snowblower manual obviously has never used a snow blower before. It says in deep snow take the top layer off and work your way down. To me this is nonsensical. You're going to be driving a tractor in the deep snow and making a general mess. How about just taking a narrower cut of the snowblower potential? Anyway I have been doing this and it has saved many a belt on my old snowblower.

Right-front-Kubota-driveway.jpg

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #2  
Good rules!
On #1, I would add that you disengage the blower before getting off your tractor. It's slippery in winter. Also as you mentioned use a wooden poker (1x2 pine) when clearing slush. I've heard people talk about steel pokers. Not a great idea if there is any chance you would poke while the auger is moving.
Rule number two. I should have learned last winter but I still need to do a final inspection along the lane way where kids play on the old rock fence. Time's running out.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #3  
Thanks for the advise, I will put it to use. I have been walking the areas that I'll snow blow this year, I put about 10 of each size shear bolt in tool box as well as wrenches. A big hammer and cold chisel to persuade a not completely broken bolt is also helpful. I will havel to work at night sometimes, a good flashlight and work lights on tractor are also helpful.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #4  
put your chains on before you need the blower

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #5  
Wow that machine looks ready for anything, cab, lights, mirrors, giant blower.
Must make snow removal very tolerable, if not outright enjoyable.
JB.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #6  
couldn't help myself... New tractor, (almost) new snowblower... 1' fresh new untested snow... PRICELESS!!! dug in once into #1 crushed, a little noisy, no big deal...

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb
I guess I wasn't paying too much attention to the weather and how much snow was accumulating. Anyway I had to go out and snowblow tonight - about 14" of fairly heavy snow (about 25 degrees)!!

My neighbor who has a 1,000 foot driveway left for Florida for two weeks and I said I would cover for him. I did just what I said, I ran my SUV up and down both driveways to pack things down and then went over them with my blower about 1" off the ground. It will be cold enough tonight to clean both driveways up nicely tomorrow.

I also agreed to help out a neighbor who is in the hospital and lives about 2 miles away. After I talked to the wife on the phone, I thought that I had best go down and take a look at it, since I didn't get to take a look at it before the snow. The driveway is all paved. It was quite an experience for me to take the tractor that far and on a dark, snow covered road.

The driveway has a hill which isn't too steep, but I was concerned if I could do it without chains - no problem. Anyway she told me that there were rocks about softball size on each side of the steep part of the driveway:eek:

I told her I would just do the center in that portion of the drive since we couldn't see anything sticking up, and if the snow goes away to get rid of the stones, but the area around the garage should be no problem.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #8  
Additional rules of thumb:

A: Get a cab.
If no cab is available:
A.1: Dress warmly in snow-prrof clothes.
A.2: Cover your face with goggles and a scarf, or snowmobiling helmet.
A.3: Attempt to blow only with the wind, not into it.
A.4: Vow to get a cab before the next snowfall.

B: Keep your machine indoors.
If indoor storage is not available:
B.1: Get a block heater and plug it in.
B.2: Park your machine so it does not freeze to the ground.
B.3: Use the lightest viscosity engine oil the machine can take.
B.4: Make sure the antifreeze is good for the overnight low temps.
B.5: Vow to build a garage before next season.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #9  
One addition to the "thumb"--Before you use the blower, spray the auger, chute and inside with cooking spray. Especially good for wet snow-it doesn't stick!

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #10  
Timely Post;

We are expecting about 7 inches tomorrow night.
So, the plan is to install blower tomorrow after noon; store shear bolts, wrenches, hammer/punch and flashlight. Also, I am dedicating an adjustable toplink to the blower unit. this will slow down on installing each time.

This will be my first use... previously I did our 1000+' lane and neighbours driveway with a 11hp push snowblower.

Other than take it slow, clear foreign objects before use, shut down unit upon exiting tractor,
are there any other things to consider. What rpm should I run unit at? Should I spray or oil shut? Also, should I use oil on chain drive or grease? it is lightly coated now.

TIA