Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota L3430

Default Re: 4 in 1 in action

Gary, Long does not have a website. However, you can see their entire product line at Steve Carver's site: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://carverequipment.com/wrlong_loader_attachments.htm>http://carverequipment.com/wrlong_loader_attachments.htm</A>. Carver is a kubota and Long dealer in North Carolina. Most 4n1's put on Kubotas are Long buckets because Kubota does not offer such an option themselves.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD425 lawn tractor; JD4710 CUT; JD JX75 Walk Behind

Jim,

What are the biggest size stumps you have removed with the 4in1? These that you're showing are awfully big. Were you able to pluck these right out of the ground? If so, then these 4in1s truly pack a punch.

Bob

Live in Lower Hudson Valley Tractor used mostly in Central NY
    Tractor
    Sold the 4310 downsized to a JD 2320 - Purchased from K.C. Canary (HRT) in Fultonville, NY

Bob, That latest picture was the largest stump I have removed so far and that one had to be Dug out (big hole required) with the BH. The 4 in 1 handled it nicely but I have learned to transport that or larger bolders in reverse... (this way if something comes loose and drops in front of you it won't be hit with the tractor) See previous post on this subject!
    The picture attached I "plucked the stump out"... It was only about 3-4" diameter with shallow roots (didn't notice what kind of tree it was when I cut it down last fall) and with the help of a saturated ground came out real easy. I have done about 10 others of that size with the same results... some were a little more difficult but they all were plucked out!
    Recommendation: when you take a tree down... leave the stump 2-3' high... this will give you some leverage (pushing/pulling to loosen) and something to grab when it is time for that "Pluck"!
    Also try to grab it as close to the middle of the bucket as possible... this will distribute the loads evenly between the loader arms (no sense in bending anything!).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD425 lawn tractor; JD4710 CUT; JD JX75 Walk Behind

Thanks for the advice Jim. This 4in1 really is amazing. Can't wait to try it out on my stumps.

I noticed that you have the armor package, I've been considering adding this to my 4600 but I only want the hood/grille guard and JD want's more $$$$ to seperate than the whole kit cost. Have decided to fabricate own but need dimensions, can you advise the measurements?

On another item, I also have the 4 in 1 bucket and will pass on info regarding one shortcoming I've found. Attempted to grasp a small thronapple tree, (2 1/2" diameter), and remove by the roots. Heavy clay ground here held firm and the bucket gave in the middle, have since reinforced the bucket as it does not seem to have sufficient rigidity for hd use. Other than this one self created problem I love the 4 in 1 and am becoming very lazy about getting off the tractor to move something when I can just grasp and go.

Thanks,

Tractor
    Sold the 4310 downsized to a JD 2320 - Purchased from K.C. Canary (HRT) in Fultonville, NY

Yes I have the armor package but since I have the smaller frame 4310 I don't think the measurements I give you would be of use on the 4600! Maybe someone out there has the armor on a 45, 46, or 4700 that could share with you. If you want I will still gladly measure it just let me know what measurements you want.
    The tractor is about 150 miles from me and I won't be visiting it until the weekend of June 22nd (weddings, confirmations, graduations, etc... darn) so please be patient, I'll even take some closeup pictures if you want. Let me know.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 4710 in my dreams

The 4 in 1 giving in the middle is not that unusual. I've seen plenty of larger bull dozers with a 4 in 1 that have the same problem. I think it just takes a little care in how they are used. What did you do to re-enforce yours?

JC4HD...My private email covered this, but for the sake of the forum (and because someone else may want to respond as well), please describe the use of the 4 in 1 bucket. Today the dealer I intend to use tried to talk me out of a JD 4 in 1. He described the operation of the bucket and made it sound as if there is a second lever on the right fender that was really a diverter. He said it was a little of a hassel to operate.

He recommended a 3rd party bucket where the knob on the control stick was replaced with a knob that had a button on it which controlled an electric diverter.

Do all of the 4 in 1s work on a diverter concept? I thought the second lever I was reading about was a control for the bucket.

Tractor

Ok Al here is how mine (and I think Bob Ancar's) work... I have the JD 4in1 bucket with seperate operating lever for the "Jaws" that is mounted by the base of the FEL control lever in a factory provided cutout. It (the jaws via the lever) is powered by the rear power beyond kit through and controlled bya a third control valve (aka the seperate operating lever) which required hoses run from the rear up to the quick disconnects in front. Instead of 4 hoses for the loader... there are 6... so I keep the quick disconnect feature of the loader without disrupting the hose routing to the rear. I really like the setup. I think what you are talking about is a button on the top of the control lever for the loader which requires some sort of solenoid diverter arrangement and additional plumbing. While it sounds like (and probably is) a nice setup... and it might be a little more conveinent to operate than mine... but now that I am used to it I have no complaints about my setup! As a matter of fact the operation has become second nature. Also I understand it the button arrangementyour talking about costs about $700 more than my setup and is actually a diverter as is not the case with mine. Since mine is powered from the rear I can use all three functions at once... lift, roll, and open or close. With the button arrangement (I was told by a very good source) it diverts the hydralics from one of the circuits on the fel so while opening or closing the bucket you would loose one of the other functions... certainly something you would want to check into.
    I'll try to attach a picture showing a different angle of the third lever location (at base of fel control stick by the right front corner of the seat) on the 4310.
    Also note... I have really tested that bucket and have yet to bend anything... pulling stumps, lifting some awfully heavy rocks, pulling brush, and cutting the sod with the clam... it's a good HD bucket.
    I am not a technician so hopefully I have captured the plumbing and operation of the JD setup. I am sure if you had any further questions Mark Brucker at KC Canary in Fultonville NY (where I purchased my 4310)would be glad to answer your or your dealers questions. He can be reached at: 518 853 3405. I'm sure you and other TBNer's have heard Bob Ancar and I sing his praises more than once before. By the way the cost of the 4in1 with all of the plumbing, valves and quick disconnects added only $1,200 to the price of the tractor... now that I've used the 4in1 for a while I consider it a steal!
    Good Luck... I'm sure you'll love the 4in1 you decide on.

Tractor

OOP's here's the picture I promised!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast