Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Elite Member

Default Re: Which Block Heater for winter?

Quote Originally Posted by Mech View Post
    I use a JD block heater (screws into the water jacket on the side of the block) on my 790 and it goes from taking 20-30 seconds of intake heat plus a bit of cranking and then a lot of smoke to one turn of the key and its running smoothly w/o smoke.
    Just for curiosity, do you know/remember what the thread is ?
    I took the plug out the side of my engine block and it is just a bit under size to be 1 inch NPT in diameter, I didn't measure the pitch.
    This is a Kukje(Cummins A2000N2 base design) engine and while I had the plug out I tried measuring the gap between cylinder #2 and #3 liners.
    OK, so I didn't have a set of long feeler gauges, so this is approximated using hacksaw blades (-:
    From the outside face of the block on the left side to the inside face of the right side is 5 5/8.
    The gap is at least 0.095", but less than 0.142" - I know, 47 thou isn't very precise.
    The 0.142 feeler would only go in 4.0 inches and I could feel the curvature of the cylinder liners.
    This info will probably help me select the right block heater if/when I decide to screw one in there, so far I havn't needed to.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4300

Don't forget that for an even quicker start with a marginal heater you can throw an old blanket or sleeping bag over the hood. (Never hurts to warm the fuel tank and system as well)
    Our old supervisor always told us that our service trucks didn't need block heaters. Block heaters only covered up a poorly tuned engine. He also said that we should only let them idle for 2-3 minutes before driving. He kept his car in a heated garage, never had to drive 5 miles before the defroster started to work.....

Tractor
    BX2200, BCS 735

Quote Originally Posted by jbrumberg View Post
    I did the same thing to my old Ford 1100 years ago. What a difference in starting ! Good job JB . Jay
    That was a really old Ford.
    Hate is like drinking poison, hoping your enemy will die. unknown author

Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

I intentionally left the block heater unplugged so I could try this method, after about twenty minutes it fired up nicely, everything was warm, battery, fuel, pump, block, radiator.
    This was outside in about 15 degrees, sure it would work better in a shed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dscn2930-jpg   -dscn2932-jpg  
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

Tractor
    Kub - 2K6, B7800

Quote Originally Posted by JB4310 View Post
    Update, After having some cold temps to test this heater out.
    They told me 2 hours min on time, but it seems after 2 hours it doesn't get any warmer, after 2 hrs everything is warm the whole block and top of the radiator.
    Even after just 1 hour the tractor fires right up, better than it did in the fall with much milder temps.

Seems to be just what this machine needed to be happy, I'm happy to
    Thanks for the feedback. I have a friend in need of this. Glad to hear it works well.
    ** Kubota **

Psalms 86
    John 1:12-13

Duraflap / Kaydenco not worth a hoot for service or products.

"Google" is a proper noun, not a verb.

If you mean what you say, then say what you mean, or just don't say anything

Tractor
    Kub - 2K6, B7800

Quote Originally Posted by john_bud View Post
    You may just have a weak battery. Diesels need to spin FAST to start. Thick cold oil + weak battery = slow spins and hard starts. Have the battery tested and check the connections for corrosion and loose bolts. Remember that the wire can corrode under the insulation.

If the battery is good and the connections are shiny, bright and tight, THEN get a frost plug heater or a lower radiator hose heater.

jb
    Never worry again about a battery with this --> Battery Tender Plus 12 Volt 1.25 Amp Battery Charger: BatteryMart.com

Install an Optima battery, use the Battery Tender, clean the posts regularly, and check on the battery 10 years later. Done deal.
    ** Kubota **

Psalms 86
    John 1:12-13

Duraflap / Kaydenco not worth a hoot for service or products.

"Google" is a proper noun, not a verb.

If you mean what you say, then say what you mean, or just don't say anything

Tractor
    KUbota L4240

I use the same battery tender on my ATV with great results. My new tractor will come with a block heater and I will take advantage of it.

Mike

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345