Tires Antifreeze/Water solution to fill Tires?

/ Antifreeze/Water solution to fill Tires? #1  

JonLeonard

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2410
I just ran across some "RV Antifreeze". Its used to put into RV water systems to keep them from freezing during the winter. Its rated to -50 degrees F, and its safe to humans and animals. Its also about 1/2 the cost of normal automotive antifreeze.

Has anyone tried using this stuff? I like the antifreeze idea better than Calcium Chloride as it can potentially rust the wheels. Automotive antifreeze is out since it is fatal to anything that drinks it. Dont want to explain to my 4 year old, that I killed his favorite goat with a tire leak /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

How hard is it do fill the tires yourself? Do you fill both the front and rear, or just the rear?

Jon

/ Antifreeze/Water solution to fill Tires? #2  
"How hard is it do fill the tires yourself? Do you fill both the front and rear, or just the rear?"

Check out this link</font color=red>.
It explains how to fill them yourself. It ain't much to it...

/ Antifreeze/Water solution to fill Tires? #3  
Walmart sells this stuff by the gallon. I used windshield washer fluid b/c the RV antifreeze is about twice as expensive, about $2 or $2.50 a gallon if I remember right. (However, I did use it in my boat's fresh water tank this winter.)

I'm not sure you are going to gain any advantage over the windshield washer stuff. Any other thoughts out there?

mark

/ Antifreeze/Water solution to fill Tires? #4  
I had my L3010's tires loaded with RV antifreeze when I bought it since I have several golden retrievers and did not want any of the ethylene glycol stuff on the property in the event of leakers. As luck would have it, I punctured both front tires with logging hooks, and can testify from personal experience that dogs DO NOT care for RV antifreeze. The smell of that stuff sent them running the other way (faint methanol smell to me, but apparently nasty to dog noses). I took both front tires to the local tractor tire folks. They had never heard of using RV antifreeze, so I had them use windshield washer fluid. We hit -20 briefly last winter (it was a warmer than usual winter season) and the fluid worked just fine.

Pete

/ Antifreeze/Water solution to fill Tires? #5  
I just posted about my experience with Windshield Washer Fluid in NH Owning/Operating forum. I used 15 gallons in each wheel on the TC21D. It worked great. I paid about 88 cents a gallons. Whole job costed me $27.00. Kent

/ Antifreeze/Water solution to fill Tires? #6  
Antifreeze... calcium... beet juice... whatever! Lets see some pictures of those Goldens of yours. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Antifreeze/Water solution to fill Tires?
Is windshield washer fluid in any way dangerous to animals? The twenty below zero should work fine here for not freezing.

Jon

/ Antifreeze/Water solution to fill Tires? #8  
My Three Sons

Pete

Attachments

• 47-147421-3dogs.jpg
    47-147421-3dogs.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 228
   / Antifreeze/Water solution to fill Tires? #9  
And my little girl

Pete

Attachments

• 47-147422-Tupperrunning.jpg
    47-147422-Tupperrunning.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 174
   / Antifreeze/Water solution to fill Tires? #10  
My animals have shown no interest in anything that smells and tastes like soap.

Pete