Storing tractor for couple of months

/ Storing tractor for couple of months #1  

Charlton John

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620
Hello All (Happy Thanksgiving) Sadley I beleive I am about done w/ the tractor for the season. I dont plow with it yet and by the time I get home every night its pitch dark and my next few weekends are booked. I am at 45 hrs. on my new B2620. My dealer has a winter special from Nov. through Feb. free pick up and delivery and 10% off parts, so I plan on having the 50 hr. service done sometime before then probably around mid Feb.

What things should I do to the tractor from now till mid Feb. to keep it in its best possible condition? It is stored in a barn. I beleive I should remove the battery for a while and stabalize the fuel, anything else? As mentioned I dont want to do to much as I will be getting a complete full service at the time of service. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

/ Storing tractor for couple of months #2  
I think removing the battery to a warm area and treating the fuel will be sufficient for a couple months. If it's damp a light coat of grease on all exposed cylinder rods will prevent rusting.

Be sure to run the tractor after the fuel treatment so the treated fuel gets inside the injector pump.

/ Storing tractor for couple of months #3  
Add a good fuel conditioner, run the tractor enough to get conditioned fuel into the pump and lines. Top off the fuel tank to prevent condensation. Remove the battery to a warmer location. That's as much as I would do. Realistically, it would probably be fine without any or all of that.

/ Storing tractor for couple of months #4  
I would charge the battery in place and leave it in. Block the clutch peddle down (there may be a hook). If you don't, it can rust to the flywheel and stick. Add fuel stabilizer and a large dose of anti-gel. I use Howes Diesel Treat. Put about 2x the label dose. Extra won't hurt, but will help clean the injectors. You may need to pull a car out of the ditch or ? Change the oil so any moisture in there won't freeze or form acids. Fill the tires with air to 5 psi over so any loss won't result in a flat. Check the anti-freeze condition. Add a can of anti-freeze conditioner / water pump lube. Blow off all the dust / leaves / plant matter. Put some mouse baits around in the barn to kill off the wire munchers.

jb

/ Storing tractor for couple of months #5  
You could just leave it in place and put a battery tender on the battery. I just bought one for my generator battery. Tried starting it once/month. Wouldn't keep battery up. Then tried running a trickle charger off a timer set to run about 1-1.5 hr/day. Worked until it got cold.

On my 1973 Benz that I had our first time to Singapore, I removed its battery and took it to the basement where I connected it in series through 2 timers. The sequence was such that it run a trickle charger about 1 hour or so about every 3 or 4 days.

Came back after 9 months, put the battery into the car, ran the glow plugs, and it started instantly as though I'd shut it down yesterday. Didn't do anything for the fuel.

Stored another (present 1983) Benz for 4 1/2 years while in Singapore again. The battery was dead when I got back, as were the seals on the AC compressor. They were supposedly starting it up once/month at the storage place. Doubt that happened. I'd topped off the tank before leaving. It was still full, but the diesel had turned a light tan. With a new battery, the engine started fairly well (not instantly as it did before and still does now). The clutch needed a few strokes to work. Later on, I noticed some constant speed pinging on the engine. Put some Chevron Techron into the tank to fix that. Later on, the ball joints got creaky (dried out), clutch cylinder under the dash leaked, and one valve burned out on the engine. After fixing these (and didn't generally show up for a year or two after), the car was back like new again and still is like new today.

Ralph

/ Storing tractor for couple of months #6  
I would charge the battery in place and leave it in. Block the clutch peddle down (there may be a hook). If you don't, it can rust to the flywheel and stick. Add fuel stabilizer and a large dose of anti-gel. I use Howes Diesel Treat. Put about 2x the label dose. Extra won't hurt, but will help clean the injectors. You may need to pull a car out of the ditch or ? Change the oil so any moisture in there won't freeze or form acids. Fill the tires with air to 5 psi over so any loss won't result in a flat. Check the anti-freeze condition. Add a can of anti-freeze conditioner / water pump lube. Blow off all the dust / leaves / plant matter. Put some mouse baits around in the barn to kill off the wire munchers.

jb

JB nailed it as usual and I agree. I'm no tractor exspurt, but why pull the battery? What if you need it in a pinch? I can offer that I use my equipment almost everyday because I make a living with it. I put a solar charger in my cab when my rig's on the jobsite.

Might want to look into a trickle charger or tender when you don't use it for a few days or more.

I also swear by Howes diesel treatment. I buy it at my local big truck shop for my backhoe & dumptruck. I just added some to my new Challenger and it instantly ran smoother on the next start-up. It is not a snake oil. Try some.

Last edited:
   / Storing tractor for couple of months #7  
I use my tractor all year but my Corvette sits for 5 months. First I run it and get it up to normal operating temperature to get rid of all of the sulfuric acid in the crankcase and mufflers. I use a battery tender. I also put a stabilizer in the fuel normally.

I cover it and never start it again until I am ready to use. I have heard people say to start your vehicle monthly, but that is a bad idea unless you are going to bring it up to normal temperature, becuase of the sulfuric acid that builds up in a cold gasoline engine. I don't know about diesels.

/ Storing tractor for couple of months #8  
JB nailed it as usual and I agree. I'm no tractor exspurt, but why pull the battery? What if you need it in a pinch? I can offer that I use my equipment almost everyday because I make a living with it. I put a solar charger in my cab when my rig's on the jobsite.

Might want to look into a trickle charger or tender when you don't use it for a few days or more.

I also swear by Howes diesel treatment. I buy it at my local big truck shop for my backhoe & dumptruck. I just added some to my new Challenger and it instantly ran smoother on the next start-up. It is not a snake oil. Try some.

My answer is based on the info provided by the O.P. If he says he doesn't plan to use the tractor for a few months, I recommend removing the battery to a warm location. No unnecessary use of electricity from charging a perfectly fine, fully charged battery. Any battery charger is a potential fire hazard, just like any live power cord in an unoccupied quiet space where rodents can move in. Installing the battery in unforseen circumstances doesn't take much time or effort.

/ Storing tractor for couple of months #9  
My answer is based on the info provided by the O.P. If he says he doesn't plan to use the tractor for a few months, I recommend removing the battery to a warm location. No unnecessary use of electricity from charging a perfectly fine, fully charged battery. Any battery charger is a potential fire hazard, just like any live power cord in an unoccupied quiet space where rodents can move in. Installing the battery in unforseen circumstances doesn't take much time or effort.

If a solar charger is used, solar power is free. I guess I was thinking more from a convenience standpoint if he ever needs his tractor he doesn't have to re-mount the battery. I have also seen my share of accidents when removing & reinstalling batteries.

I don't think your idea is bad, I guess I just look at it differently. I like be able to get the tractor started right away, but I need them for work almost every day.

/ Storing tractor for couple of months #10  
If a solar charger is used, solar power is free. I guess I was thinking more from a convenience standpoint if he ever needs his tractor he doesn't have to re-mount the battery. I have also seen my share of accidents when removing & reinstalling batteries.

I don't think your idea is bad, I guess I just look at it differently. I like be able to get the tractor started right away, but I need them for work almost every day.

Hey, you asked why I preferred to remove the battery, I responded. We don't have to agree. It's all good. I don't remove the batteries from the two I use in winter; just the two I don't.