Insurance Where to buy excavator insurance??

/ Where to buy excavator insurance?? #11  
I doubt that a property owners insurance would pay damages not caused by the the homeowner.

If you hire someone to do work on your property and they don't have insurance, your homeowners liability insurance will cover it. This is true at least in Washington and California, as I have had policies in both states. Like I said, reportedly they will go after whoever did it though (tractor operator) and if you don't have an umbrella policy on top of it, the limits may not be high enough. Also it's foolish for the homeowner to risk a ding on their homeowners policy. That's why homeowners should always hire insured contractors - but that wasn't the question.

/ Where to buy excavator insurance?? #12  
My homeowner's insurance covers damage I do with my tractor. I never charge anyone for work I do, and I don't take the tractor very far off my property.

Basic homeowner's is ~$1000, and a $ 5 million umbrella policy is $230.

/ Where to buy excavator insurance?? #13  
I will throw in here as well Chuck.

This board will give you a wide variety of answers. Some questions though, are very local or regional.

I would go to a trusted insurance agent, I would use an independent reccomended to me by others in similar businesses (Lawncare, plumbers, etc.) and talk to a couple of independent agents.

I have had more then my share of confusion betwixt my insurance agents and myself, and have left very dissastisfied more then once from an agents office.

If you THINK, your homeowners insurance covers it, and your Agent SAYS homeonwners covers it, then I would have him SHOW me in the policy where it says it, or write it in simple english and have him sign it (bet he wont)

For anyone to say that someone else's homeowners policy will cover it is just not good advice. Unless that person happens to be their insurance agent as there are many different coverages etc.

There will be many folks on here telling you they got XXXX policy for XXXX dollars and it covers XYZ, but really when it comes down too it, it will be you, and your insurance agent working out what is covered and the type and price etc.

I will warn you that it is easy to drive yourself out of business by buying insurance.

The next thing you will hear is about someone telling you too form a LLC. Then you will not be responsible, but it is funny, one of the classes I attended with a bunch of other folks doing contracting work (landscapers mostly) and the instructor stood up and said, how many of you are LLC's? 75% of the class raised their hands, and how many of you LLC's have used a personal credit card for a business purchase, and 90% of those raised thier hands, and how many of you have used a business Credit card to purchase something for personal use and not shown it as a payment too yourself, then a purchase, and pretty much all LLC's had been identified. Now, do you think that will show a co-mingling of financial resources between yourself and the LLC??????????

Short translation. Don't think just because you are an LLC they wont come after your personal resources.

There were a lot of really long, long faces in the crowd.

Running a business, working at others houses, with equipment often translates into running a business, even if it did not start that way, involves risks. How you manage those risks and how your luck runs will determine a lot.

I have just gotten to where I hate to look at our insurance bills lately.

/ Where to buy excavator insurance?? #14  
My homeowner's insurance covers damage I do with my tractor. I never charge anyone for work I do, and I don't take the tractor very far off my property.

Basic homeowner's is ~$1000, and a $ 5 million umbrella policy is $230.

Curly, does it cover you if you are digging a hole in the neighbors yard and you cut a major fiber trunk causing over $1 million in direct and indirect damages? I would guess you are personally on the hook as you are off your property. Even if you were covered explicitly - you would probably still be personally on the hook if you didn't have digger hotline out to mark the ground. That's a show of gross willful negligence and policies don't cover your butt for that.

Even though you don't charge $$, it may still need a commercial policy as a sharp lawyer could show you were doing it for barter and hence value was exchanged. Yeah, sounds unlikely but when lawyers jump in ...

jb

/ Where to buy excavator insurance?? #15  
The few times I do work for others I have a disclaimer I ask them to sign. Basically put they accept the obligation to identified all utility lines gas electricity etc. Then they sign saying "I accept liability for any incident or damage that may occur in the application of this project." Haven't had anyone refuse and I haven't had any incidents either. Not sure how well this would hold up in law but for minor skirmishes which I've had none it may discourage litigation.

/ Where to buy excavator insurance?? #16  
The few times I do work for others I have a disclaimer I ask them to sign. Basically put they accept the obligation to identified all utility lines gas electricity etc. Then they sign saying "I accept liability for any incident or damage that may occur in the application of this project." Haven't had anyone refuse and I haven't had any incidents either. Not sure how well this would hold up in law but for minor skirmishes which I've had none it may discourage litigation.

I investigated that way too. It may work ok. It may not. You may want to add to that accepting liability a line about them "indemnifying" you for any accidental damage caused while digging. That should mean that they are responsible for paying.

Since it is their land, they already have a portion of the liability. Your note does not transfer 100% of liability (nor can it). Even if they are liable, so are you as the guy digging the hole. It gets complicated real quick AFTER you cut that gas main or fiber trunk! I would probably want to spend 2-300 with a lawyer to get a simple 3 line note in plain english to CYA.

/ Where to buy excavator insurance?? #17  
I investigated that way too. It may work ok. It may not. You may want to add to that accepting liability a line about them "indemnifying" you for any accidental damage caused while digging. That should mean that they are responsible for paying.

Since it is their land, they already have a portion of the liability. Your note does not transfer 100% of liability (nor can it). Even if they are liable, so are you as the guy digging the hole. It gets complicated real quick AFTER you cut that gas main or fiber trunk! I would probably want to spend 2-300 with a lawyer to get a simple 3 line note in plain english to CYA.

Nice word. 1 : to secure against hurt, loss, or damage
2 : to make compensation to for incurred hurt, loss, or damage.

Just trying to figure out how to slip it into a sentence in the right way.

/ Where to buy excavator insurance?? #18  
Nice word. 1 : to secure against hurt, loss, or damage
2 : to make compensation to for incurred hurt, loss, or damage.

Just trying to figure out how to slip it into a sentence in the right way.

Yeah, that's a much better word than the one you were using as it covers what you want to happen AFTER an accident.

How about "the undersigned agrees to accept liability and to indemnify "botabill" for any accidental damages while on the undersigned's property."

(Sound good?)

/ Where to buy excavator insurance?? #19  
Yeah, that's a much better word than the one you were using as it covers what you want to happen AFTER an accident.

How about "the undersigned agrees to accept liability and to indemnify "botabill" for any accidental damages while on the undersigned's property."

(Sound good?)

Yep. I like it.

/ Where to buy excavator insurance?? #20  
Indemnities would have to be signed by the owner of the utilities, not the landowner to cover damages to those facilities. The electric cooperative I work at bills the actual person that did the damage and leaves it up to that person to work it out with whomever they feel is responsible. The indemnity would probably bind the property owner to reimburse you or pay on your behalf for the repairs.