Ballast magnesium chloride for ballast

/ magnesium chloride for ballast #2  
Anyone using this? Rim gaurd seems expensive. All I can find is that Cal Chloride is corrosive on rims. What about Mag chloride?

Hey Builder it will rust the heck out of your rims if you get a leak. It will also kill tons of grass or in your case contaiminate the project you are working on. My buddy that I work with had one spring a leak on a 8N. I happened in his yard and 3 years later he still could not get grass to grow. He had to have 2 tri-axles removed and replace.

We use Blue Windshield Washer Fluid and do it our at home around here. Its cheap, fairly non toxic, and just about as heavy.

Chris

/ magnesium chloride for ballast #3  
Boy, I totally miss read that post. Never heard of anyone using Mag Chloride.

Chris

/ magnesium chloride for ballast #5  
Anyone using this? Rim gaurd seems expensive. All I can find is that Cal Chloride is corrosive on rims. What about Mag chloride?

There might be a small difference, but magnesium chloride is going to be corrosive too. Pretty much any chemical salt is going to accelerate corrosion in the same way. Salts end with words like chloride, bromide, sulfide, sulfate, nitrate, phosphate, and a bunch more. Some will be more corrosive, and some will be less.

Tom

/ magnesium chloride for ballast #6  

I have TL-90 from Road Way Solutions in one of mine.

Attachments

• TL-90 page 1.pdf
    442.8 KB · Views: 263
  • TL-90 page 2.pdf
    696.1 KB · Views: 380
  • TL-90 page 3.pdf
    627.9 KB · Views: 126
  • TL-90 page 4.pdf
    565 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
   / magnesium chloride for ballast #7  
CaCl2 - Corrosive? Yes, but... Not if you keep the fluid level up over the top of the rim. Then no O2 can hit it an start the rusting. Also, it is corrosive over decades, not just a year or two. Done right and kept full, rims last 50-60 years.

I'd just use the CaCl2, cheap and heavy.

jb