HOW RARE IS A IH 240 UTILITY?

/ HOW RARE IS A IH 240 UTILITY? #1  

Rooster7

Tractor
IH 240 Utility
I bought a IH 240 this summer in really nice condition. Several people have told me it is a rare tractor including one IH collector. Is it pretty rare and possibly worth money as a collector item?

I don't plan on selling it. I'm going to use it which brings me to my next question: Can you convert it to a 12 volt system and how complicated is that?

/ HOW RARE IS A IH 240 UTILITY? #2  
Rare in the sense "not a lot still around", but NOT rare in the sense "extremely valuable". You can probably get a better idea of numbers produced on "RED POWER" website, or the IH forum over on YT. (I know of 3 in my immediate area)

/ HOW RARE IS A IH 240 UTILITY? #4  
They only made about 15,000 of those tractors so it's somewhat "rare" by the production numbers but not incredibly valuable to collectors from what I know. I have a 404 and it's the follow on tractor from the 240. They don't have much collector value either right now. Not old enough or large enough to have many people interested just yet is my reasoning. Still plenty useful to do work though.

Here's a step by step 12V conversion for an M. Converting a 240 would be similar -

Yesterday's Tractors - Step by Step 12-Volt Conversion

These boards may also be of more help to you with an older tractor -

Yesterday's Tractors :: View Forum - Farmall & International Harvester (IHC)

Red Power Magazine Community -> General IH

There are a number of guys at both places have been around IH equipment a long time.

And post us some pics of your tractor here in the Vintage-tractors forum. We'd love to see it! -

Vintage Tractors - TractorByNet.com

HTH!

/ HOW RARE IS A IH 240 UTILITY?
Thanks guys! I'll try and get some pics up!