Almost hate to do it to you, but....?

/ Almost hate to do it to you, but....? #21  
The extra pressure may have been 7 to 10 psi more then standard settings. and the tire size may have been 2 sizes bigger, I forget. i know it was hard to get on but they would stay.

/ Almost hate to do it to you, but....? #22  
That sounds like a really unique soluition. I guess your father had a ready source of larger tires and also had 2wd tractors. That large change in circumference on a 4wd tractor would surely cause some driveline stress. I guess I should also ask if this was fronts only or did he do it on the rears also? If it was rears, I can see why they were such a struggle to mount. They could also cause clearance issues, it seems.

EDIT: Duh! Just reread your post that it was 2wd and fronts only. I'd love to see a picture of that.

/ Almost hate to do it to you, but....? #23  
Slime, Slime, Slime

This is just another one of those products that work for some people, and not for others. In my opinion, with a tire that has never had liquid in it and the right amount of Slime, it almost has to work. It will put a thick coat all over the tire and wheel. I worked in landscaping for 22 years, and it worked very well in my situation. I have also used oil on the bead to soften the rubber, and tire bead sealant. They say to not plug and Slime, but I have done it. It is best to buy in 5 gal bucket, it is much cheaper. I wished they would bring back the old hot patches. Vulcanization is the best patch where you melt rubber to rubber.

There is no way that Slime will work on a filled tire because the amount of filled solution to the quantity of Slime is to great. If it has worked for some, I suggest it is pure luck

/ Almost hate to do it to you, but....? #24  
My dad used to, on a 2 wd dexta front tires take 2 used tires next size up and cut the beads out and slip those over the mounted tire, A tire over a tire and increase the pressure to keep it on tight. it was a ***** getting on but work very well.
Has anyone ever done or saw this done?

Clever idea! One might even cut the sidewalls off a smaller tire & put it inside, maybe thorns would'nt go thru both & the tube would be protected ??? MikeD74T

/ Almost hate to do it to you, but....? #25  
yes it could be done i suppose similar to a boot in a tire

/ Almost hate to do it to you, but....? #26  
Slime, Slime, Slime

This is just another one of those products that work for some people, and not for others. In my opinion, with a tire that has never had liquid in it and the right amount of Slime, it almost has to work. It will put a thick coat all over the tire and wheel. I worked in landscaping for 22 years, and it worked very well in my situation. I have also used oil on the bead to soften the rubber, and tire bead sealant. They say to not plug and Slime, but I have done it. It is best to buy in 5 gal bucket, it is much cheaper. I wished they would bring back the old hot patches. Vulcanization is the best patch where you melt rubber to rubber.

There is no way that Slime will work on a filled tire because the amount of filled solution to the quantity of Slime is to great. If it has worked for some, I suggest it is pure luck
I had a tire shop fix a car tire once He had a patch that looked like a vulcanizing tire patch with a plug on it. He also applied it like a vulcanizing patch. I thought that was the best of both worlds.

/ Almost hate to do it to you, but....? #27  
Slime, Slime, Slime

Now there's an idea... load the tire WITH slime! weight , fluid, and puncture resistance...

soundguy

/ Almost hate to do it to you, but....? #29  
Ever see the cost of beet juice.... bring your loan application!

soundguy

/ Almost hate to do it to you, but....? #30  
Clever idea! One might even cut the sidewalls off a smaller tire & put it inside, maybe thorns would'nt go thru both & the tube would be protected ??? MikeD74T

Isn't that what the ice bikers always do?