Dead tractor - help!

/ Dead tractor - help! #1  

5030tinkerer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota GL3830/GL5030
So I was happily using my Kubota 5030 today - basking in the 45 degrees temperature since it's been down to like 5 already - and all of a sudden it lost power and just died. It will restart, but will only run for a second. The fuel is the winter mix, but I don't have any additives in there.

It sure seems like a fuel delivery problem, but I guess I don't know how to check for that. Is the first thing to replace the fuel filter or is there something else I should be doing?

/ Dead tractor - help! #2  
Clogged fuel filter. The fuel probably gelled and is stuck on the filter element.

Add a 4x dose of Howes Diesel Treat to the tank and take the filter in to a warm spot for an hour. Put 1/2 howes and 1/2 diesel back in the filter bowl.

Once gelled, the fuel has to warm up to about 15F HIGHER temp than the cloud point and be there for a couple hours - over night at 60-70F is best. Untreated fuel has a cloud point of about 45F. I would guess that the fuel was not treated. You should be able to verify by direct inspection of the fuel in the bowl, certainly by taking the bowl off. if the filter is coated with snot - it's gelled up.

jb

/ Dead tractor - help! #3  
Check the simple stuff first. My tractor has a screen in the tank on the fuel shut off. Start taking off hoses and make sure you have fuel flowing.

Chris

/ Dead tractor - help! #4  
As mentioned along the lines of a fuel problem. Go through the procedure to bleed your lines right up to the injectors. There won't be any air but you will be able to see where there is fuel.

/ Dead tractor - help! #5  
I had my first fuel problem in 30 years Thursday. I think the ULSD got to it. It would idle(barely), so I just let it run for 20 minutes, then shut it off for a while. The engine heat unclogged the filter, and it ran fine about 30 minutes later. Then I put in the appropriate amount of additive, and the issue has not resurfaced.

I am suprised that this sort of fuel would be put in circulation, as there must be a lot of problems.

Chris

/ Dead tractor - help! #6  
You can screw around with your existing fuel filter all you want. If you have access to a new one, change it. You will be far better off with a clean filter than a used, dirty one whether it is plugged with paraffin (gelled) or other debris.

Fuel filters should only be cleaned and re-used in dire emergencies IMHO. Life is just too short to be aggrivated with self-inflicted fuel problems. Keep a new one on the shelf at all times.

Edit: JB's advise on using a good quality antigel/conditioner is spot on.

/ Dead tractor - help! #7  
AS the others have said probably gelled. I put additive in every time I add fuel. In Ilinois they don't have to state on the pump whether you are getting bio or #2. It has been causing alot of problems. And if you ask the people working there don't have a clue.
Bill

/ Dead tractor - help! #8  
dynasim, I don't know whether I'd be so quick to blame ULSD. I've been running it in our 2 diesel cars since it's been out. No problems. Always add anti gel diesel treatment before cold temps. Just about any diesel fuel is subject to gelling with out anti gel additive whether its ULSD,LSD or the old high SD.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Dead tractor - help!
I was fortunate enough to have a new filter on the shelf, so changed it out. To do this, I flipped the lever above the fuel filter to the off position, spun off the housing, removed the filter and spring, cleaned up an amazing amount of gunk (1/4" or so) that had formed on the bottom of the housing, filled the housing (maybe the mistake here) with the Howse antigel stuff hoping it would be combustible (couldn't do a 50/50 mixture since I didn't have any extra fuel handy, installed a new filter, put everything back together, and flipped the fuel lever back to the on position.

I've cranked and cranked to the point where the battery was starting to run down, but it will not start. It's on a charger now, but do I remember some priming procedure that has to be followed when changing a fuel filter or running out of fuel? Was COMPLETELY filling the housing with the antigel stuff (instead of the suggested 50/50 mixture) to blame (is it not combustible?)?

/ Dead tractor - help! #10  
I discuss in this thread how I recovered from air in the fuel line on my 5030. I think you are into this procedure now, having put in a new filter, which was a good thing to do.