When to use additive? in SW NC....

/ When to use additive? in SW NC.... #11  
RadarTech,

I live in Haywood County at 4000 feet, 2/3 of the way up our 6100' mountain. It gets cold here, as you likely know. I run Power Service or an equivalent ALL the time, but I make sure I run additive in winter. One cannot assume our area's fuel is winterized and especially if one has fuel in storage it. I have found a startup improvement and better winter fuel economy when using the additive, with anti gel. Interestingly I have had both direct injected and indirect injected diesels and the indirects seem to derive more benefit with regard to smoothness and fuel economy.

John M

/ When to use additive? in SW NC.... #12  
I have read about different diesel fuels, off road and on road. Does the on road fuel also need the additive?
The on road and the off road is fast becoming the same stuff and the terms on road and off road is leaning more and more toward describing where the fuel is used rather than meaning a type of fuel so yes no matter what it's called the fuel needs to be treated.

/ When to use additive? in SW NC.... #13  
The on road and the off road is fast becoming the same stuff and the terms on road and off road is leaning more and more toward describing where the fuel is used rather than meaning a type of fuel so yes no matter what it's called the fuel needs to be treated.

My understanding of ON ROAD and OFF ROAD fuel is the color of the fuel to indicate if a tax has been paid on the fuel for ON ROAD use. The two fuels are a different color. I think I read somewhere that the off road has a red dye added to indicate no tax paid. If red fuel is found on an ON ROAD vehicle they take you to jail! :)

Clem

/ When to use additive? in SW NC.... #14  
1*My understanding of ON ROAD and OFF ROAD fuel is the color of the fuel to indicate if a tax has been paid on the fuel for ON ROAD use.
2*The two fuels are a different color.
3*I think I read somewhere that the off road has a red dye added to indicate no tax paid.
Clem
1*Correct.
2*Almost right,except a more accurate way of putting it would be.
1 fuel but 2 colors.
3*Not quite : It's more like taking the on road and putting red dye in it.
It's still the same fuel it was before you put the dye in it.

/ When to use additive? in SW NC.... #15  
OFF ROAD can still be LSD (up to 500 ppm) until 2010 for off road equipment and until 2012 for locomotive and marine use.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ When to use additive? in SW NC.... #16  
OFF ROAD can still be LSD (up to 500 ppm) until 2010 for off road equipment and until 2012 for locomotive and marine use. /quote]

This just means they have until those dates and it's no guarantee that LSD will be available up until that time.
Nothing says they can't discontinue LSD prior to then.
It wouldn't surprise me it they aren't phasing it out or have done so already and what little is available is just the remainder of what inventory they may have had on hand.
I would not think they would want to keep right on producing LSD then be caught up with a stock pile they'd be stuck with that they couldn't get rid of because of the dead line.
I don't really believe they'd want to do that.

L . B .

/ When to use additive? in SW NC....
RadarTech,

I live in Haywood County at 4000 feet, 2/3 of the way up our 6100' mountain. It gets cold here, as you likely know. I run Power Service or an equivalent ALL the time, but I make sure I run additive in winter. One cannot assume our area's fuel is winterized and especially if one has fuel in storage it. I have found a startup improvement and better winter fuel economy when using the additive, with anti gel. Interestingly I have had both direct injected and indirect injected diesels and the indirects seem to derive more benefit with regard to smoothness and fuel economy.

John M

John-- Well howdy!
I have been over to Waynesville so many times!!
well-- I added some to one can of fuel and the tractor tank--- and it appears that my second can is missing..
I hope I did not just stick a full can somewhere on the proprty while workin and forgot about it..
I did that a few months ago clearing a trail..
Left the tractor down there for a couple of days and just rode the ATV up and down. used the tractor bucket to carry fuel cans and storage box..
and then had left a can there for days...
Too cold right now to run down there....

Let's hope I don't have a gelled can of diesal sitting down there!

anyway.....
thanks for the advice---

Tanks to all of you!

and Merry Christmas!

Later,
J