When to use additive? in SW NC....

/ When to use additive? in SW NC.... #1  

RadarTech

Elite Member
Tractor
2007 Kubota L3400, YANMAR YT359C
hey folks,
It's that time of year.. and I am such a newby...
I have read all kinds of posts on here about to use additive, and not to use additives...

And well, I just cranked the L3400 yesterday for the first time in a month..
It was fairly cool but not below freezing somewhere 38-43....
Had to clean out the ditches and fix some rain damage on the gravel drive.
I hate leaves!!!! or should I say the 10 bucket loads at least-- another story....

Since it was the first time in at least 2 weeks, I let it idle for about 10 min before heading off.. There was a post about some cold weather rough running so I am still being careful-- ya know I only have about 150 original hours!

Anyway, she ran great..

But as I consider ice and snow coming and my fuel was purchased almost 2 months ago....
what should I do to make sure it is okay?

I only have about 5 gallons left.. (bought about 30 gallons for a $1 less than the market price so I could not pass it up..-- Long story- involves actually driving the tractor about 5 miles up the road with a bucket of fuel cans...)

So what do yall think?

Thanks,
Jim

Kubota L3400-HST,LA463 loader, 6 foot scrape, 5 foot box, 4 foot finish mower(a gift!), loaded rears

/ When to use additive? in SW NC.... #2  
Just take your pick of any of the name brand anti gel diesel treatments and dose per bottle instuctions and you should be good to go.

/ When to use additive? in SW NC.... #3  
I treat anytime the temps are going to be under 40-45F. That is where untreated fuel will cloud up. Cloud point is the first step to trouble.

I like in an ice box and use Howes Diesel Treat. It's head and shoulders above the competition around here. You probably don't need that and about any good anti-gel will be fine.

/ When to use additive? in SW NC.... #4  
hey folks,
It's that time of year.. and I am such a newby...
I have read all kinds of posts on here about to use additive, and not to use additives...
I just dump a quart of Power service / white bottle in my 55 gallon drum and fill it with 55 gallon of fuel the year around.

/ When to use additive? in SW NC.... #5  
I sitting warmer than you and was told by dealership and guy who use to rebuild injector pumps, about same stories on fuel and treating it. I do about same as LBrown. I try to treat all. Especially if not going to be burned the day it is bought.

/ When to use additive? in SW NC.... #6  
I add Power Service year round when i fill up my truck and 5 gal cans for the tractor.. Doesnt add that much to the cost and that way you know that 5 gal pail of fuel has been winterized.. I add it just as much for the additional lubricity as i do gelling..

Brian

/ When to use additive? in SW NC.... #7  
I have read about different diesel fuels, off road and on road. Does the on road fuel also need the additive?

/ When to use additive? in SW NC.... #8  
I have read about different diesel fuels, off road and on road. Does the on road fuel also need the additive?

Depending on where you live the fuel being bought by a station may be already winterized (mixed with up to 20% kero) at the terminal.. BUT if you are buying fuel from a low volume station they may still have unblended (ie summer) fuel in the ground...

My quess would be anywhere north of NC/SC/TN would be winterized fuel..

So to answer your question, on-road fuel may not need an additive if it is a blend.. I personally run Power Service yr round, i feel its cheap insurance..

Brian

/ When to use additive? in SW NC.... #9  
marc, yes. On road vehicles need treament also. We have two diesel cars and I always use an anti gel diesel treatment with the on set of cold weather.

/ When to use additive? in SW NC.... #10  
Thanks for the info. I will start using an additive.