Winter Storage

/ Winter Storage #1  

JD3520CO

Tractor
John Deere 3520 Cab
Has anyone used one of those portable garages/canopy to house your tractor/boat/feed supply in the winter? We just bought a small house in Colorado and a JD 3520 with a blower to keep the private road open in the winter. I want to protect my new tractor for the winter, until we can build a garage next season. Has anyone used one of those canopy type garages - made by Shelter King, Shelter Logic or others? I hate to leave the tractor outside for security and convience purposes, but we are not sure the shelter can hold up to the wind and snow of the Colorado mountains.

/ Winter Storage #2  
Has anyone used one of those portable garages/canopy to house your tractor/boat/feed supply in the winter? We just bought a small house in Colorado and a JD 3520 with a blower to keep the private road open in the winter. I want to protect my new tractor for the winter, until we can build a garage next season. Has anyone used one of those canopy type garages - made by Shelter King, Shelter Logic or others? I hate to leave the tractor outside for security and convience purposes, but we are not sure the shelter can hold up to the wind and snow of the Colorado mountains.
Lots of post on here about them .
1 thread fairly recently .
do a search read forever.

/ Winter Storage #3  
Here is one thread about the fabric shelters and there are plenty more.

I used a $300 12ft x 20ft fabric Cover-it shelter to store my tractor in for the first 2 years I owned it and did not have any problems. I did make sure I cleaned the snow off of the roof after every storm and put self-tapping screws through every joint connector too!

I just recently upgraded to a $1200 metal carport and couldn't be happier with it. I can now keep my tractor, all implements/attachments, and 1-ton dump truck out of the weather and only clean the snow off of the roof 1-2 times per year depending on the snow accumulation.

_______OLD___________________NEW_________

___

/ Winter Storage #4  
Derek,

I don't know if you had yours last winter before getting the metal carport but a guy down the road from me had one of the shelterlogic shelters and it collapsed from the snow load with his JD inside :eek:. I am just across the border from you in Maine.

I have one of the TNT metal carports like yours, 'cept I closed in the sides and ends, so far so good.

Here is one thread about the fabric shelters and there are plenty more.

I used a $300 12ft x 20ft fabric Cover-it shelter to store my tractor in for the first 2 years I owned it and did not have any problems. I did make sure I cleaned the snow off of the roof after every storm and put self-tapping screws through every joint connector too!

I just recently upgraded to a $1200 metal carport and couldn't be happier with it. I can now keep my tractor, all implements/attachments, and 1-ton dump truck out of the weather and only clean the snow off of the roof 1-2 times per year depending on the snow accumulation.

_______OLD___________________NEW_________

___

/ Winter Storage #5  
Derek,

I don't know if you had yours last winter before getting the metal carport but a guy down the road from me had one of the shelterlogic shelters and it collapsed from the snow load with his JD inside :eek:.

It is probably unfair to ShelterLogic to paint all their products with the same brush. They make a variety of models, and the dealer I bought mine from in the Berkshires was very clear that some models are very inappropriate for areas that receive snow.

/ Winter Storage #6  
I have had 2 different ones that I bought a tractor supply. Each one held up for about 3-4years. You have to keep the snow cleared off of them but other than that they hold up. I used lag bolts to bolt the frame down to 2x6's that run the length and then used rerod pounded in the ground and bent over the 2x6's. Then put a bunch of rocks and dirt on top of that and it has held. I did not do this the first time and we had a good wind storm come through and the tent rolled over the roof of my garage and landed on the other side of it. If you are looking for one to last longer I would recommend the rounded roof type and not the triangle roof type.

/ Winter Storage #7  
Derek,

I don't know if you had yours last winter before getting the metal carport but a guy down the road from me had one of the shelterlogic shelters and it collapsed from the snow load with his JD inside :eek:. I am just across the border from you in Maine.

I have one of the TNT metal carports like yours, 'cept I closed in the sides and ends, so far so good.

Yeah I got mine in Nov. 2007 before any snow fell. Good thing too, that was quite the winter. As long as you clear the snow off after every storm, those shelters last 5 yrs or more here in New England. Mine was 6 yrs old and my father still uses it as a wood shed.

/ Winter Storage #8  
gotta watch those shelter-logic type setups; the "tarp" kind. They like to sweat in the summer, and do the same in the winter. there was always tons of condensation inside mine, and after storing a truck inside one for about 2 years untouched, the surface rust was unbeliveable on the frame and anything not painted