Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2006 JD 3520 w/cab & 300CX loader. 1995 JD 870 w/440 loader & 8b backhoe.JD 455 w/54" mower deck.

Default Re: Ice on Piston

I think putting VASELINE on the chrome would trap dirt and eventually take out a seal. Better to do nothing.
    "Good judgement comes from experience.Experience comes from bad judgement."

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Quote Originally Posted by dirtworksequip View Post
    I think putting VASELINE on the chrome would trap dirt and eventually take out a seal. Better to do nothing.
    Hmm doesnt the seal "wipes" the vaseline off like a wiper. Using grease is messy. Vaseline is easier to clean up. Just use a rag and wife off before first use. Ok if there is dirt on stuck on it , a simple wipe would wipe it off and the seal would squeeze out the rest of vaseline.

If the pistons are not used as much, wouldnt rust spots on the piston ruin the seals more VS the dirty vaseline ? Which is more benefical?

Tractor
    JD 5075M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R

The central question would be - long term storage or not? If he's gonna leave the 110 sit all winter - then grease (or vaseline) on the exposed cylinders is a good idea.

If he's gonna use the machine for big snows (I sure would with an 8' blade) then the need for grease protection is likely not a big concern.

Warm 'em up - Wipe 'em down - get with it!

AKfish

Tractor
    JD 2520, JD X749, JD110TLB

Well, I couldn't wait any longer. Only had an inch of new snow today, but I tried it out today. I checked the pistons and wiped them down. Didn't find any ice on them. Anyway, it sure seemed stronger and able to move more snow, except I have to learn some technique for this to have any steering. With it light in front this way, the 2520/rear blade is actually faster and cleaner with the light snows. I think this 110 will be better for the heavier snows and probably without the BH, steering will be better. But, I don't want to remove it until I have a building to put it in.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kioti CK30 Synchro Shuttle

Quote Originally Posted by radioman View Post
    ...Vaseline is easier to clean up. Just use a rag and wife off before first use. ...
    Does this actually work?
    Not sure my wife would agree to it, she leaves the tractor to me so far.
    By the best, and you'll only cry once!
    Lube is cheaper than parts.
    www.windingwoodsfarm.com
    Kioti CK30 Synchro Shuttle FEL. BH, RB, 13 KW Generator, Boom Pole, Carry all, Woods 60 inch Brush Bull, Pat's Easy Change System, 3pt Wood Splitter, EA 72" Box Blade
    Ferris IS500Z, 3 STIHL Chain saws

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_G View Post
    Does this actually work?
    Not sure my wife would agree to it, she leaves the tractor to me so far.
    opps - wipe not wife .. My wife is gonna kill me tonight

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12