Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 2520, JD X749, JD110TLB

Default Ice on Piston

Just thinking here... I have a new 110TLB with a front blade, but I'm considering not using it much of this winter season, continuing most of the plowing with the 2520. The reason is since I have no where to shelter it, it sits here exposed to the elements and I have found ice stuck to the bucket pistons. Since it has been below 0 for a while, the ice will tend to stay, and my concern is the ice breaking seals. I never had this concern with my 2520, primarily because it is parked under a covered deck and as it sits, the pistons tend to be fully retracted (therefore protected). Another thing is my 2520 pistons do not appear chromed like the nice and shiny 110

Well, I thought about parking it another way such that the 110 pistons are fully retracted too, but then, the angle pistons on the blade are exposed some, no matter which direction it is angled. So, they would be more at risk of seal damage.

Is this something you would be concerned with? If so, how would you deal with it? I'm planning to get a shelter for it before next season.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -ht0_2437small-jpg  

Tractor
    JD 5075M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R

Default Re: Ice on Piston

Nice picture! And that new 110 ain't too bad, either...

My 110 sits outside in one of those vinyl carports that you can find at Sam's Club or Costco, etc.
    Keeps the rain and snow (and sun - whenever it shines up here) off.

I generally plug the tractor in for an hour or two (tranny heater and block heater) and then let it idle for 15 min or so before I move it. I wipe the cylinders off with my glove before I cyle things if it's got a coating of frost, etc.

My old JD970 stayed outside in the carport for 4 winters and I never had a leaky cylinder anywhere on it - and I used it to move all the snow here on the place and down the road for a couple of the neighbors, too.

I also made it a point not to push the hydraulics to the end of the cylinders travel until I was fairly certain that (partial back-forth cylinder movement) I had warm fluid in the cylinders and warm seals.

AKfish

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    tc- 29d

Can you just put a large tarp over it to keep elements off it
    dqdave1; tc-29D; woods 7500 bh; 7308 fel, land pride tiller, land pride rake, gill pulverizer, 60"mmm. , bucket forks , MZ16H

Tractor
    John Deere 3720

I read once, about rubber bellows attachments that could be put on cylinder rods for protection. But I don't know where a guy would find them.

Tractor
    John Deere 2520, 1989 John Deere 185, 1960 Panzer T70B

Might try wrapping a Wally World sack around the piston for protection or melting the ice off with a hair dryer before using.
    Runner

Tractor
    2005 TB135 Excavator with Thumb, Quick Attach System, Ripper tooth, 3' Hydrauic Tilt Clean-up Bucket, Skeleton Bucket, 1986 Kubota 4150 with Loader and Quick Attach with Woods Forks, JD B, 1963 IH 504

It won't be an issue. If it was every piece of equipment, loader, snowplow, excavator, power steering ram, trash truck etc.... etc.... would be spewing fluid everytime the temps dropped below 32.
    2009 Kubota M7040, cab
    2005 Takeuchi 135 excavator
    1963 Oshkosh 4819
    2013 GMC 3500 6.0 w 9-2 Boss V Fisher poly Sander.
    IH 504, JD B, Ford 2n, Farmall cub, Gehl 1475 Round Baler, JD 640 rake, Vermeer 2500 Bale Wrapper, Zetor 185 Drum Mower, New Idea 217 manure Spreader, Kuhn 4 star tedder, Farmi 501 winch.
    Local 740 Portland ME
    20 Scottish Highland Beef Cattle, 3 Herefords, 3 Goats, 2 Alpacas, 2 Llama, 140+- layers, and lots of maple trees.
    Facebook: Phillip View Farm

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson model 85, Allis-Chalmers WD-45

Quote Originally Posted by atgreene View Post
    It won't be an issue. If it was every piece of equipment, loader, snowplow, excavator, power steering ram, trash truck etc.... etc.... would be spewing fluid everytime the temps dropped below 32.
    Definately agree.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply.
    Willing is not enough, you must do.
    Bruce Lee

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

If you so concerned, why not spread vaseline all over the rods ? It will keep air from oxiding the chrome, keep ice from sticking, and most importantly keep moisture off from it.

Tractor
    1989 (Indestructible) Murray 14hp 48inch, Snowblowers and such, Dirtbike, things that launch things...

i agree with radioman... vaseline would help a lot
    Barrington Football... Greece... girlfriend...
    Caterpillar/Detroit/Volvo/Mack/Kubota/JD/Yanmar/IH/MF/Zetor/Briggs-Stratton

anything with internal combustion engine...
    i am a simply man...

Tractor
    BX24

the instructions for my kubota say to spread a thin coating of grease on pistons that are to be stored for awhile. i would think you could get a small paint brush and just use the excess that squirts out when you grease the fittings on the tractor and spread it around on the exposed pistons.

amp
    Kubota BX24 (loader, hoe, 60" belly); Ford 800 tractor; Scott's/Deere 42" mower; 5' and 6' rear blade; 54" Howse tiller; 20' 7,000 lb carhauler trailer; 2 other trailers; 5' dethatcher; 10" single bottom moldboard plow; middle buster plow; 600 lb roller; 3pt auger; front tire chains; Stihl and Honda small engine equip.

Growing with you season by season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast