Ice on Piston

/ Ice on Piston #1  

skidoo

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2520, JD X749, JD110TLB
Just thinking here... I have a new 110TLB with a front blade, but I'm considering not using it much of this winter season, continuing most of the plowing with the 2520. The reason is since I have no where to shelter it, it sits here exposed to the elements and I have found ice stuck to the bucket pistons. Since it has been below 0 for a while, the ice will tend to stay, and my concern is the ice breaking seals. I never had this concern with my 2520, primarily because it is parked under a covered deck and as it sits, the pistons tend to be fully retracted (therefore protected). Another thing is my 2520 pistons do not appear chromed like the nice and shiny 110:)

Well, I thought about parking it another way such that the 110 pistons are fully retracted too, but then, the angle pistons on the blade are exposed some, no matter which direction it is angled. So, they would be more at risk of seal damage.

Is this something you would be concerned with? If so, how would you deal with it? I'm planning to get a shelter for it before next season.

Attachments

• HT0_2437small.jpg
    HT0_2437small.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 321
   / Ice on Piston #2  
Nice picture! And that new 110 ain't too bad, either... :)

My 110 sits outside in one of those vinyl carports that you can find at Sam's Club or Costco, etc.
Keeps the rain and snow (and sun - whenever it shines up here) off.

I generally plug the tractor in for an hour or two (tranny heater and block heater) and then let it idle for 15 min or so before I move it. I wipe the cylinders off with my glove before I cyle things if it's got a coating of frost, etc.

My old JD970 stayed outside in the carport for 4 winters and I never had a leaky cylinder anywhere on it - and I used it to move all the snow here on the place and down the road for a couple of the neighbors, too.

I also made it a point not to push the hydraulics to the end of the cylinders travel until I was fairly certain that (partial back-forth cylinder movement) I had warm fluid in the cylinders and warm seals.

AKfish

/ Ice on Piston #3  
Can you just put a large tarp over it to keep elements off it

/ Ice on Piston #4  
I read once, about rubber bellows attachments that could be put on cylinder rods for protection. But I don't know where a guy would find them.

/ Ice on Piston #5  
Might try wrapping a Wally World sack around the piston for protection or melting the ice off with a hair dryer before using.

/ Ice on Piston #6  
It won't be an issue. If it was every piece of equipment, loader, snowplow, excavator, power steering ram, trash truck etc.... etc.... would be spewing fluid everytime the temps dropped below 32.

/ Ice on Piston #7  
It won't be an issue. If it was every piece of equipment, loader, snowplow, excavator, power steering ram, trash truck etc.... etc.... would be spewing fluid everytime the temps dropped below 32.

Definately agree.

/ Ice on Piston #8  
If you so concerned, why not spread vaseline all over the rods ? It will keep air from oxiding the chrome, keep ice from sticking, and most importantly keep moisture off from it.

/ Ice on Piston #9  
i agree with radioman... vaseline would help a lot

/ Ice on Piston #10  
the instructions for my kubota say to spread a thin coating of grease on pistons that are to be stored for awhile. i would think you could get a small paint brush and just use the excess that squirts out when you grease the fittings on the tractor and spread it around on the exposed pistons.

amp