Chains Chains Year Round?

/ Chains Year Round? #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
Well, we have snow and Ice up here in Washington. We only get it in our area for a couple weeks a year (although I just heard from LA that there is snow on the hollywood sign). Anyway, I work a lot of spots on my property in the 30 to 40 degree slope. I was wondering if there would be a downside to keeping chains on year round. Noisey and rough ride? Hard on the tires or drivetrain? I have no pavement anywhere near. Our soil is pretty loose and wet most of the year.

/ Chains Year Round? #2  
It shouldn't bother anything. Use 4wd only when needed, the chains should keep you out of most trouble. I run mine sometime brushhogging commercially to keep from burrting the tractor. And I drive all over town in the winter with chains on as needed to move snow. Doesn't hurt anything.

/ Chains Year Round? #3  
I have a small cheapo lawn tractor with atv chains on them. It gets pretty bumpy and rough on pavement, when crossing the road pulling a trailer it slips on road. When we had a drought - the ground was made mostly of clay was rough to drive on as well. I just put up with it. Lucky it not the choice of tractor i use all the time.

/ Chains Year Round? #4  
I keep chains on my 2 wheel drive tractors all year round. I never get stuck in the mud or snow with them, and never have any problem with them. I even occasionally have to go in the road with them, and have no problem with that either. For my 4WD tractor, I never have chains on it at all, and never have any problems with that either. Here in upstate New york, we have lots of snow in the winter, and lots of mud the rest of the year.

/ Chains Year Round? #5  
I never had these off going on 2 years now and they're staying right there. If yo don't have pavement, you can keep them on in my opinion.

Attachments

• PICT0062.JPG
    PICT0062.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 192
   / Chains Year Round? #6  
I leave chains on year round on both my B7100 and my lawn tractor, for over 15 years now. The ride is a little bumpy if I take them on the road, but off the road, the chains sink in and the ride is not so rough.

/ Chains Year Round? #7  
I had chains on for 5+ years until they slipped off and got et up by the mower.

They will damage blacktop in the summer. Even old blacktop. The tires will get some dents where the high pressure is, but the rubber will have less wear

/ Chains Year Round? #8  
what kind of tires do u have on ur machine??

/ Chains Year Round? #9  
arrow, I assume your 750 is 4WD. Any problems with the front chains interfering with anything? I have a 1050, and am thinking about front chains.

/ Chains Year Round? #10  
I have similar experience as those above that leave chains on year round. No problems but bumpy ride on hard ground. One thing not mentioned is compaction. You'll get more ground compaction with chains than without. This may or may not be a concern. I have noticed substantial more compaction in the woods in the areas I drive with chains than areas tractoring with bare tires. I now take off the chains when not needed.