Touching Up a JD Tractor

/ Touching Up a JD Tractor #1  

DWCox

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 790
I don't mind getting my tractor (JD) really dirty, or even scraping things up in the process of working. But I don't leave it in that state, since there is nothing more burdensome for me than to work on or maintain a dirty piece of equipment (or a dirty car for that matter).

I have a bit of time over Christmas break and thought I would do something I have never bothered to do in the past: touch up some of the small rust spots and areas of peeling paint. Do you guys just prep and clean these small areas and hit them with a couple light coats of oem spray paint, or do you buy the paint in quarts, and then dab it on with a tiny brush? Obviously I am not talking about high visibility areas like on top of the hood, but areas that are nonetheless visible and in need of rust correction.

Thanks for any input.

/ Touching Up a JD Tractor #2  
Remove rust, maybe treat for corrosion, prime and spray. Spray cans are not that expensive and you can get them at TSC also.

/ Touching Up a JD Tractor #3  
A small brush works great on any castings. You can't get a smooth finish on a casting no matter what you try.

/ Touching Up a JD Tractor #4  
I know its lazy but I just pressure wash and hit it with the John Deere spray bomb

/ Touching Up a JD Tractor
Thanks for the replies. The brush makes sense on castings, and I had already picked up a can of JD green from the dealer back in the summer.

It is funny, but I do believe with every tractor or piece of equipment I have ever owned, I have bought a can of oem touch-up paint with it, but never bothered using it.

/ Touching Up a JD Tractor #6  
You can also get a touch-up paint pen in green or yellow.

Greentoybox.com::Green Paint Pen

image012.jpg