Need some tech advice on 23 HP Kubota. Please...

/ Need some tech advice on 23 HP Kubota. Please... #1  

cleve1sp

I am relatively new to diesel tractors and am having an issue with a Kubota BX23 compact in the harsh weather in Michigan. My problem is this: Kubota has been sitting in the cold and snow. I started it up with no problems. Used it to plow the snow. About 30min. in to working my long driveway, the tractor started to lose rpms. The rpms dropped to about 600 and then reved back up to 2500. This occured continuously until I got the tractor moved to a spot where I could shut it down. I could only move the tractor when the rpms were up. This morning I checked the fluids and inspected for any leaks etc. None were found. I started it up after warming glowplug. It idled very well at 1200rpms. I let it sit for about 15min. with no problems. I decided to see if it would plow the rest of my drive. Another 30min of plowing went very well with no problems. Then it started acting up again. I moved it to my garage to let it completely thaw out. Could this be a fuel problem? What should my next steps be? Thanks for the help.

/ Need some tech advice on 23 HP Kubota. Please... #2  
I am relatively new to diesel tractors and am having an issue with a Kubota BX23 compact in the harsh weather in Michigan. My problem is this: Kubota has been sitting in the cold and snow. I started it up with no problems. Used it to plow the snow. About 30min. in to working my long driveway, the tractor started to lose rpms. The rpms dropped to about 600 and then reved back up to 2500. This occured continuously until I got the tractor moved to a spot where I could shut it down. I could only move the tractor when the rpms were up. This morning I checked the fluids and inspected for any leaks etc. None were found. I started it up after warming glowplug. It idled very well at 1200rpms. I let it sit for about 15min. with no problems. I decided to see if it would plow the rest of my drive. Another 30min of plowing went very well with no problems. Then it started acting up again. I moved it to my garage to let it completely thaw out. Could this be a fuel problem? What should my next steps be? Thanks for the help.

cleve1sp,

Welcome to the forum! There is another thread going on this same topic and the general concensus is that it's a fuel problem, either moisture or gelling from the cold. That sounds like what is going on with your tractor. Dyer, retired

/ Need some tech advice on 23 HP Kubota. Please... #3  
I'll agree on the fuel gelling. What seems to be happening is due to the outside temps the cold fuel is starting to gell inside the fuel lines which restricts the flow of fuel to the motor causing it to starve for fuel losing power or stalling. Get some Power Service or similar product and add to your fuel to prevent gelling. Get the tractor warmed up in the garage (the warming process will return the gelled fuel back into liquid) then start it and let it run a while to get the treated fuel through the lines. (of course have your garage door open for ventilation). It may take a while for the treated fuel to get into the lines since the tractor probably uses less than a gallon per hour.

/ Need some tech advice on 23 HP Kubota. Please... #4  
GET it to a warm place to warm it up.add power service to it ,start it and run it a while.You need to run something in your fuel now to keep it from gelling.Oldtimers cut their fuel with kerosene 50/50 Ive even did it first winter with my 23 ,my dealer reccommended it.[ITS COLD UP HERE] Inow just dump some power service in the fuel,alot less pain in the butt.
If that dont do it,change your two fuel filters.
ALAN

/ Need some tech advice on 23 HP Kubota. Please... #5  
It is definitely a fuel problem. Change your fuel filter. That symptom means that water got into it. The filter is collapsing under the added suction needed to pull fuel thru it. When you let it sit the closed filter pleats opened back up and gave you a few more minutes of good flow. Changing the filter is a must. Fuel additive would be a good move to delay reoccurrance.
larry

/ Need some tech advice on 23 HP Kubota. Please... #6  
It is definitely a fuel problem. Change your fuel filter. That symptom means that water got into it. The filter is collapsing under the added suction needed to pull fuel thru it. When you let it sit the closed filter pleats opened back up and gave you a few more minutes of good flow. Changing the filter is a must. Fuel additive would be a good move to delay reoccurrence.
larry

/ Need some tech advice on 23 HP Kubota. Please... #7  
On the BXs there are two filters. One in the engine compartment and one under the tractor. They're clear - the silver thing with wires under the tractor that looks like a filter is the fuel pump. Change them both. Even if they look clean they may have waxed up from the fuel gelling.

/ Need some tech advice on 23 HP Kubota. Please...
Thanks for all the help. I added the anti-gelling mixture to the tank and some new fuel. I will hit the local Kubota dealer on Monday to buy two new filters. Thanks so much for everyones responses. They really put me at ease knowing that I may not have to pay someone to plow me out during the next big snow storm.
Thanks,

Sean

/ Need some tech advice on 23 HP Kubota. Please... #9  
Thanks for all the help. I added the anti-gelling mixture to the tank and some new fuel. I will hit the local Kubota dealer on Monday to buy two new filters. Thanks so much for everyones responses. They really put me at ease knowing that I may not have to pay someone to plow me out during the next big snow storm.
Thanks,

Sean

Let us know how that works Sean...These knowledgeable folks on here are So helpful...I'll be watching so I can keep my 23 in good working order.

Don

/ Need some tech advice on 23 HP Kubota. Please... #10  
I will hit the local Kubota dealer on Monday to buy two new filters.

Sean - You might want to buy two spares for future problems, while you are at the dealer. I don't think they are very expensive and may save another trip, or having to wait for the dealer to open.