Rockshaft control lever's gone soft

/ Rockshaft control lever's gone soft #1  

Millalien

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320 (2008)
My rockshaft control lever won't hold position on my Deere 3320. It was pretty stiff until yesterday, but now when I lift the rear blade the lever slides back down. The blade lifts and drops like it normally does, except that it drops back down as the lever slips. It's been really cold here lately (single digits F) and all the other hydraulics work just fine. I thought at first that it was cold related, but not I wonder. Anybody have any explanations?

/ Rockshaft control lever's gone soft #2  
Check to see if your control lever has gotten loose. Should be just a nut to snug up where the lever pivots. Just a thought.

/ Rockshaft control lever's gone soft #3  
Here is a picture of the linkage. Check the tightness of the locknut (#9) that put tension on the spring pack (#11)

Attachments

• 3320 rockshaft.gif
    3320 rockshaft.gif
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,496
   / Rockshaft control lever's gone soft
Thanks! That sounds like a good call - I need to dig a little to get in there but I'll give that try.

/ Rockshaft control lever's gone soft
For the record, I found a friction washer (part #1 in the diagram (M136623 ))had broken and fallen off the shaft, which probably explains the sudden misbehavior. I Didn't tighten down on the spring pack yet - the washer's on order and I'll replace the washer and adjust the whole assembly when it comes in.

Thanks for the replies ---

/ Rockshaft control lever's gone soft #6  
Good to hear that it will be an easy fix.

/ Rockshaft control lever's gone soft #7  
My 3520 just developed this same loose lever problem. Haven't had time to really explore, but it looks like I will have to remove something to access the mechanism. Haven't been under the tractor yet, but this area looks to be too high up to reach from below. How did you guys get to it?
Thanks!
John

/ Rockshaft control lever's gone soft #8  
My 3520 just developed this same loose lever problem. Haven't had time to really explore, but it looks like I will have to remove something to access the mechanism. Haven't been under the tractor yet, but this area looks to be too high up to reach from below. How did you guys get to it?
Thanks!
John

I was able to get a wrench to the nut from up on top, but I think that I could have reached it from underneath also.

/ Rockshaft control lever's gone soft #9  
Thanks for the reply. I will have to take a closer look at it when I get a chance.

/ Rockshaft control lever's gone soft #10  
My rock shaft lever is way too stiff. Were you able to determine where to adjust the friction?