Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Battery Troubles

/ Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Battery Troubles #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
Warning: This is a rant. There is no useful information in this post.

I must be doing something wrong because I go through batteries faster than anyone I know. I'm sure I must just bump some switch or lever on occasion that puts a gradual draw on the battery until it's dead and stays that way for a week destroying the battery. On my last tractor I replaced the battery just about every winter. Luckily, I had a good relationship with the guy at the parts place, and I could get it warrantied every other year.

I had hoped that with my new tractor I wouldn't have the same problem. Not so. A few weeks ago, I went to start it and the battery was dead. This battery was new with the tractor in March of 2008. Not only was the battery dead (No voltage), but when I hooked up the charger, It tells me the battery is all charged. It must have a dead cell or something. I know I must have left the ignition on somehow even though I know I have a problem with that and check it every time. My hour meter went from about 540 hours to 920 during the time the tractor was sitting before I found the dead battery.

I put the battery from the old tractor in the new one (it was only a year old since I'd just replaced it the winter before) and the tractor worked fine for a month or so. This past Saturday I started the tractor and ran it for a while to plow mine and my neighboors' driveways. This morning (three days later) I got up early to plow again and the battery was once again dead as dead. Once again, I pulled it out and the charger again says that it's fully charged.

I know the charger is good because I do use it occasionally to charge other batteries and it works.

I'm taking the newest battery (the one that came with the new tractor) to the John Deere dealership today since it's a John Deere battery. I hope they'll warranty it since it's only 8 months old. Then I'm going to get a battery shut off switch and maybe even an onboard battery maintainer.

/ Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Battery Troubles #2  
IMHO... do make sure everything is hut off when you leave it.

also.. make sure your cable ends are good and clean, and the tractor's charging system is working correctly.. including not causing the drain to a bad diode in the alternator.

Also.. i like to spray the top of my batteries with silicone lube, as it sheds water.. batteries that get water all across the top can discharge across that water.

batteries that set for long periods of unuse die faster.

I try to start my tractors at least monthly.. even if i only let them set and run for 15 minutes during the off season.. here and there.. etc.

soundguy

/ Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Battery Troubles #3  
With all that trouble with batteries and the hour meter going crazy...................sounds like you are having some strange things going on there. Have you seen any UFO's lately? If you have,I think that would explain everything.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Battery Troubles #4  
I have the same problem with tires. I had 3 flats last year on a 1 year old boat trailer. 2 nails and 1 blow out. I had 2 flats on my new truck, under 18,000 miles, in the last 9 months. 1 fork, yes a dinner fork, and a bad valve stem. I have had this problem all my life. I probably have 4 flats a year on one of my 2 trailers, or 3 vehicles. I have been lucky with the tractors so far but my day will come with them also.

I was in the Bahamas last year and rented a Ford Taurus at the airport. I got about 2 miles down the road and had a flat. Took the tire off and put on the spare which was also flat, actually just low on air. Limped back to the airport where they took a look at the tire and it had a hole in it 3" in diameter. They had no cars left so they sent a tire shop rep to my hotel the next morning to pick up the car and put on a new tire. He came back with the keys a hour later and told me there was a trailer hitch ball in the tire. How do you run over a hitch ball and how the **** does it cut the tire wide open? Just my luck.

Chris

Last edited:
   / Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Battery Troubles #5  
I have the same problem with tires. I had 3 flats last year on a 1 year old boat trailer. 2 nails and 1 blow out. I had 2 flats on my new truck, under 18,000 miles, in the last 9 months. 1 fork, yes a dinner fork, and a bad valve stem. I have had this problem all my life. I probably have 4 flats a year on one of my 2 trailers, or 3 vehicles. I have been lucky with the tractors so far but my day will come with them also.

I was in the Bahamas last year and rented a Ford Tarus at the airport. I got about 2 miles down the road and had a flat. Took the tire off and put on the spare which was also flat, actually just low on air. Limped back to the airport where they took a look at the tire and it had a hole in it 3" in diameter. They had no cars left so they sent a tire shop rep to my hotel the next morning to pick up the car and put on a new tire. He came back with the keys a hour later and told me there was a trailer hitch ball in the tire. How do you run over a hitch ball and how the **** does it cut the tire wide open? Just my luck.

Chris

Sounds like your rental Taurus had the not-so-well-known towing package, complete with 2" hitch ball...:D

I've seen some strange stuff in tires, but a hitch ball takes the cake.

/ Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Battery Troubles #6  
Sounds like your rental Taurus had the not-so-well-known towing package, complete with 2" hitch ball...:D

I've seen some strange stuff in tires, but a hitch ball takes the cake.

That one take the cake for me. I once had a Fork in my 2007 F-150. It put 4 tiny holes side by side by side by side. I also had a Dogs tooth or some critters tooth in the tire of a S-10 Blazer I had.

That truck was new and I could not get the lugs off. I walked to a farmers house and ask to use the phone so I could call my dad, did not have a cell phone back in 91. He said he would bring over a bigger breaker bar. Well the farmer got a 6' section of pipe and drove me out to my truck and about that time my dad showed up with a breaker bar and some sockets, 3/4" drive. We could not even get 1 lug off even with us all jumping on the bar and pipe so we tried putting the jack under the bar and all it did was lift the truck off the ground.

It was a Sunday and my dad was mad so I drove the truck to the Chevy lot with my dad behind me and his flashers going. It was about 7 miles and it tore up the tire and aluminum wheel. The next day I gave them a call and they told me they destroyed all 4 wheels getting them off and had to order new ones and a tire. If I remember right they had to use a torch to burn some of the lugs off.

Chris

/ Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Battery Troubles
Some good news...

I went to the local Deere dealership. Apparently green paint is actually worth something. I gave them the 9 month old dead battery. They didn't have the right one in stock, so they gave me a bigger battery brand new and traded me straight accross rather than pro-rating the old one.

I may just be tempted to do business with John Deere again after that.

Now I just need to get the battery isolator mechanism.

/ Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Battery Troubles
...I had 3 flats last year on a 1 year old boat trailer. 2 nails and 1 blow out. I had 2 flats on my new truck, under 18,000 miles, in the last 9 months. 1 fork, yes a dinner fork, and a bad valve stem...

Chris

Okay, I'm not quite that bad with tires, but I do have similar issues. I finally stopped buying new tires.

/ Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Battery Troubles #9  
I am glad you don't have my tire problems but I would rather have the tire issues than the battery issues. You have something staying hot to keep killing batteries like that. If you take the negative lead off the battery and put a multi-meter inline with it you can see what the static drain is on that battery. I had this with a boat once, battery was dead after 72 hours. Ended up being a 1/2 amp draw from a Carbon Monoxide Detector. I found it by doing what I said above and pulling one fuse at a time until the drain went away.

Chris

/ Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Battery Troubles #10  
With all that trouble with batteries and the hour meter going crazy...................sounds like you are having some strange things going on there. Have you seen any UFO's lately? If you have,I think that would explain everything.

Sincerely, Dirt

I don't think it's UFO's DirtWorks. I have seen this phenomenon before. It seems to be solar flares triggered by my wifes blond hair.