B7100 will not start

/ B7100 will not start #1  

henerythe8th

Tractor
TYM 474 -- SS w/TX47 FEL Previously owned: Mahindra 2615, Kubota B7100D, BCS 737, Grasshopper Diesel
We've got a fair amount of snow and I need to move it!

I've had this tractor for several years and it's been a real workhorse.
After our first decent snow, I plowed using the homemade (came with the tractor and pins in place of the bucket) snow blade on the FEL and the rear blade.
It's always been a bit of a pain to start in the cold and I had to jump it with the pickup to get it fired up.
When I was done I parked it in the shop and put the battery charger on it in preparation for the next snow fall expected in a day or so. That was last Thursday, I think.
I've been fighting with the danged thing ever since. The temperature has ranged from -2F to 20F since then.
Here's what I've done, in various states of shop temp:

Drained the fuel bowl and let fuel run through the top part of the filter into a pail (to chase water out) replaced the fuel filter with a new one.
Fuel bowl was charged with diesel and anti-gel treatment per the instructions on the anti-gel bottle.
Checked voltage to the glow plugs - good
After more failed attempts
Pulled glow plugs to inspect, checked resistance two at 0.9 ohms one at 0.6 ohms. Briefly applied 12V to each of them and they all got hot.
Cleaned connections and re-installed.

When it cranks over it doesn't seem to ever attempt to 'catch' and run like it used to. The stack is emiting diesel smelling vapor, but it's not black like I remember it being.

I've tried jumping it, letting the glow plugs heat for a minute or more, had a heater under for about an hour this evening with the little orange beast covered in tarps to keep the heat in.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

Any suggestions?

/ B7100 will not start #2  
You did not say if you bled the fuel lines after replacing the filter. I doesn't sound like you are getting any fuel.

/ B7100 will not start
Yes, I did bleed the fuel lines.

But they didn't seem to be developing the same sort of messy 'squirt' that I kind of remember the last time that I had to do it a year or more ago.

Come to think of it, it did run for about 15 seconds after the fuel filter change. Maybe I got something into the injector pump?

/ B7100 will not start #4  
Try pull starting it if it is a gear machine.. that is.. after you bleed it at the injectors till you get fuel bubbling out.

soundguy

/ B7100 will not start #5  
Think about bleeding it again. Bleed the filter first and then at the fuel pump.:D

/ B7100 will not start
I finally got the beast going last night!
It's in the shop and I had it tarped with a heater under it for about four hours before I came home from work. Cycled glow plugs, blahblahblah, etc. several times and it seemed that I was getting more smoke, but no fire!

Double checked the fuel filter by pulling and inspecting, FINE! Recharged with diesel fuel conditioner and diesel, still no fire, but fuel at all injectors with no wait.

Ready to give up, I tarped it back up and shoveled snow for a couple of hours.
Glow plugs for 90 seconds, crank, good smoke, a burst of fire, and dies.
Several cycles of this and it started while blowing little particles of soot!

What a cloud of smoke! Never seen anything quite like it!

Merry Christmas to me!

Merry Christmas to all of you, too!

/ B7100 will not start #7  
Are you opening the throttle about 1/2 way? If not, it's not getting enough fuel to start and to keep running in really cold weather. On both our 1983 Benz and my 2004 JD, I have to open the throttle 1/3 to 1/2 half to start them in the cold. They usually start instantly. Only time I've had my diesels fail to start was when the rubber lines from the hand pump to the main pump on the Benz's engine developed radial cracks. One thing I like about diesels is they start instantly (after glowing), even after standing for 9 months. The Benz needed a bit of cranking on a new battery after storage for 4 1/2 years though. Clutch didn't want to work right away; its master cylinder starting a teeny tiny leak after that and had to be replaced.

Both the Benz and the JD only need about 6 seconds of glow time in cold weather vs. only 1 to 2 seconds in warm weather.

Ralph

/ B7100 will not start #8  
I have a mower with the same motor. Same symptoms. Replaced all 3 glow plugs and it now starts in any temperature on the 3rd revolution.

/ B7100 will not start #9  
Henrythe8th,

You don't say where you live but you need to
prepaire that tractor for winter in September,
add Power Service or such and get it into the system,
mix your fuel or run straight #1, after you have
the Power Service running in her for a couple jobs
change you fuel filters.

That is what I do to every diesel I own, has worked
for over 20 years with no problems no matter what
temp. A block heater will help that tractor also.

Thumper

/ B7100 will not start
I recently spoke with a guy that recommended that I drain all of the fuel out of this tractor and 'trash' it.
His experience in Alaska in the winter with heavy equipment led him to believe that some of the anti-gels changed the structure of the fuel somehow, creating small crystals that continue to foul fuel filters.

I did as he said, and the thing starts and runs beautifully, now. It is warmer, but I was still having issues with trying to get it started. Fresh fuel and it is great!