Stuck in cold, no block heater

/ Stuck in cold, no block heater #1  

pat32rf

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD4300
I keep reading about tractors that can't be started because of sudden cold snaps, faulty or no block heaters, burnt out glow plugs, etc. People have towed them to heated barns or rented salamanders just to get them fired up. We used to just put a charger on the battery, then cover everything with canvas, plastic, sleeping bags, whatever we had for insulation that would drape over the hood section and reach down to ground level.
Then we would stick one or more portable electric heaters underneath and give things a few hours to warm up.
With the hood of our old N9 tented this way, even a 200W light bulb under the engine would often let us get it started back in the 50's.

/ Stuck in cold, no block heater #2  
My grandfather and father would drain the oil at the end of the day, take it in the house and set it on the side of the Queen Atlantic for the night in a pan. In the morning they'd dump it back in. Saved a lot of extra work.

/ Stuck in cold, no block heater #3  
My grandfather and father would drain the oil at the end of the day, take it in the house and set it on the side of the Queen Atlantic for the night in a pan. In the morning they'd dump it back in. Saved a lot of extra work.

Ok-- I will show my age here---
What is a Queen Atlantic?

thanks,
J

/ Stuck in cold, no block heater #4  
>>What is a Queen Atlantic?<<

A resident of Provincetown or Ogunquit?

/ Stuck in cold, no block heater #5  
>>What is a Queen Atlantic?<<

A resident of Provincetown or Ogunquit?

And next your going to tell me that she breaths fire in the winter to stay warm right?:D

Later,
J

/ Stuck in cold, no block heater #7  
Sorry. I grew up cooking and heating all our water with a Queen Atlantic, parents still do. Portland Stove Foundry was in Portland Maine and built cast iron stoves for years. Great cook stove. I went to the 3d large fire at PSF when it burnt the second to last time. The major fire in the late 80's? put it almost out of business, the following fires and market conditions put it under.

They're very common around here.

Attachments

• 3477_portland_stove_foundry_company_1.jpg
    3477_portland_stove_foundry_company_1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 205
   / Stuck in cold, no block heater #9  
   / Stuck in cold, no block heater #10  
Alan,
Thanks--
The picture is really is nice!

My dad had a few old stoves in a collection... He loved those things..

Thanks for the real answer--

Sometimes the replies here are "like a box of chocolates"...
know what I mean?

Later all,

J