bad for glow plugs?

/ bad for glow plugs? #21  
my kubota b2400 has me turn the key counterclockwise to activate glow plugs , then i turn key clockwise to start engine, glow plugs go off as soon as key is in start position.sounds like your cub is different, but don't seem like they shold be on for a mimuet or so, or is that min. not really a minuet? 10 sec. can seem like a long time when u are waiting and impatient to boot./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ bad for glow plugs? #22  
This has become absolutely absurd.

Is your position that the normal life cycle of the VW glow plugs is two months????? If not, then you appear to be telling the man the exact same thing that I am. And that is that premature failure of the glow plugs can occur if they are not functioning as designed.

I didn't say running them would burn out the glow plugs. I said, in my first post. "This MIGHT cause premature failure of the heating element in the glow plug." and in my second post, "If you add the heat of ignition to the heat of the electrical current acting on the element, you will reduce the life of the element......period."

Now, for some unknown reason, you feel the need to both agree and disagree with that position.

But this is a useless exercise and has gotten off the original topic. GSS asked "Is it bad for the glow plugs (or anything else) to start the tractor while they are still "lit"?

Dear GSS, the answer is yes. We don't all agree on what it will damage and some think it is not a big deal because the damage will take a period of time. But it is your equipment, not ours. So you get to choose if you "stop now or just do it until you need glasses."

/ bad for glow plugs? #23  
""BGOTT:
I've seen VW diesels that would take a month or two to burn the glow plugs out with the controller stuck and the glow plugs burning all the time. ""

"Ozarker:
Is your position that the normal life cycle of the VW glow plugs is two months????? "

It is pretty apparrent that his position was not that it was the VW's glow plugs -normal- life cycle.. as he clearly stated -running continously-.

Soundguy

"This has become absolutely absurd. "

Naa.. not yet.... I've seen much more... uh dramatic conversations here.

As long as everyone is trying to help.. and the fellow eventually gets that help, the discussion should be fine.. after all.. that is why we have these subs.. to discuss. Many times people are agreeing with each other, in a way that either of them don't initially see....sometimes just takes a bit for everyone to get on the same page.

/ bad for glow plugs? #24  
<font color=blue>sometimes just takes a bit for everyone to get on the same page.</font color=blue>

I'll second that notion./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ bad for glow plugs? #25  
Nice smiley face with the crown.. is that from our markup? or a part of your sig?

Soundguy

/ bad for glow plugs? #26  
Thank you, Roy Jackson. One more nagging little concern done away with.

/ bad for glow plugs?
Sorry guys

Let's not get too hot (pun intended), guys. I appreciate all of the input and am glad to have all of you so willing to help a fellow tractor owner...

HOWEVER, I must apologize. I fired'er up last night, and guess what I realized? I was looking at the wrong FRICKIN light!! The first time the steering wheel must've blocked my view and I completely missed it. Instead I was focusing on the Oil Pressure light! LOL Last night, the Glow Plug light came on and went out within seconds.

Sorry guys. Chock one up for inexperience with the brand new tractor...

- Gerald

/ bad for glow plugs?
Sorry...

I must apologize. I fired'er up last night, and guess what I realized? I was looking at the wrong FRICKIN light!! The first time the steering wheel must've blocked my view and I completely missed it. Instead I was focusing on the Oil Pressure light! LOL Last night, the Glow Plug light came on and went out within seconds.

Sorry guys. Chock one up for inexperience with the brand new tractor...

- Gerald

/ bad for glow plugs? #29  
Re: Sorry...

Well you get an <font color=red>A</font color=red> for honesty. Not everyone would have admitted that. Good for you!/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ bad for glow plugs? #30  
<font color=blue>Nice smiley face with the crown.. is that from our markup? or a part of your sig?</font color=blue>

It is from the markup, {king} I added it to my sig as my last name is King.