Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Tractor
    Yanmar 1500D

Default Re: bad for glow plugs?

"Naa.. not yet.... I've seen much more... uh dramatic conversations here."

I suspect that is true. But I'm through with it. The gentleman with the original question now has enough information from various sources to make an informed decision about how he will proceed. Or, he is so confused that he will throw up his hands, run screaming from here and go to the shop at his local dealer and ask them.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet 7360SS, MF1100 & JDx585

Default Re: bad for glow plugs?

It's cool. It was actually as simple as removing my head from my @$$ long enough to realize that I was looking at the wrong [censored] light!!

Differing opinions are healthy. Let's not get worked up. Thanks to everyone for their input.

- G

Tractor
    2001 TN65, 1951 8N Ford

Default Re: Sorry guys

Uh, Gerald, about that oil light... I'm sure that we'll all agree that running a cold engine for " a minute" without oil pressure every time you start it might be just a little more expensive than burning up a set of glow plugs. If the light doesn't go out in 5 seconds or so I'd have it looked at. Idiot light sendering units are usually set at about 5 psi so it ought to shut the light off pretty quick.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet 7360SS, MF1100 & JDx585

No, no. The oil pressure light comes on along with the battery and glow plug light when the key is put into the "glow plug" position. The engine is not running with the oil light on. It also goes right out when the engine starts.

Thanks for your concern though!

Tractor
    2001 TN65, 1951 8N Ford

Oh, O.K. ...Just checking!

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L4610HSTC

Gee, yours works just like mine. Turn key on and the glowplug light comes on for a period of time approximately dependent on the temperature where colder gives more glowplug time. When the engine is warm enough I don't think the light even comes on.

With my Ford diesel 6.9 non-turbo and my Cummins turbo-diesel Dodge the glow plug light also comes on longer if it is colder AND cycles on and off for a while while the engine is warming as evidenced by the headlights dimming from the current draw exceeding the alternator output at idle.

The kubota starts fine in warm weather even when not waiting for the plugs to cycle, virtually no discernable difference.

Apologizing for arriving too late to try to put out the earlier fire by dashing it with gasoline...The most likely deleterious effect of cranking without waiting is extra shock to the battery to handle cranking currents as well as the significant load of the glow plugs at the same time, especially if the battery is cold.

Patrick

On my kubota you hold the key all the way counterclock-wise until the glow plug wire on the dash glows orange then you turn the key all the way right and it cranks and fires on the 1st or second crank

I doubt you'd shoot the plugs if you crank it before the light goes out

On my if you don't pre-heat it and just crank it you will sit there up to 30 seconds cranking before it fires then it will sputter and speed up

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234