brush hog hay

/ brush hog hay #1  

intel

Silver Member
Tractor
DK 45, 2003
Has anyone ever baled hay that has been brush hogged?
My dad did it once, the cows loved it that winter. He only did it because haybine was down and had good weather. he noticed it used more fuel took a little longer to dry.
also don't know about the nutritional value of the hay after being brush hogged.
Just thought i would see what you guys think.

/ brush hog hay #2  
tried it once, but the bailer had a hard time picking it up.

/ brush hog hay #3  
Yes, I did it this year. A bushog can work, but it will depend on the bushog design type - prefererably one that kicks the grass out rather well without shredding it up into little pieces. My old square back bushog accomplishes this quite well. There are also rotary cutters made where one side unbolts called a "hayside" for use with hay. Additionally many farmers have modifed their own cutter by cutting one of the sides off.

As for drying times: Compared to a haybine/moco it will not be quite as good, but it will dry much quicker than a sickle cutter alone. It will serve kinda like a "poor man's haybine" as the stems are cracked some. It will not affect Nutrion in grass hay at all, but in alfalfa it could if you experience leaf loss - I would not use in alfalfa unless desparate.

The bad news: I can not speak from experience yet (hope to have my old sickle going this year), but everything I have read suggests you will lose some yield using the rotary cutter (others estimations are 20%-40% loss). Or in other words, if you are getting 100 bales per acer now you may only get between 60-80 bales per acre as some will be left in the field.

I myself am hoping to try the sickle for increased yields, but I will continue to use my old bushog on those occasions when I must have the benefit of faster dry down times due to the "poor man's haybine" effect.

Lastly, search this site and "Yesterday's tractor" as this topic has been covered extensively. You will read both success stories and horror stories. In my opinion the horror stories stem from people using the wrong rotary cutter. Lastly if you have not already purchased your rotary cutter consider purchasing one of the "hayside" models from King Kutter if you are looking at new units. Same pirice as their standard model with increased flexibility (TSC will have to order it though).

/ brush hog hay #4  
Woods and FMC/Sidewinder marketed a mower with the removable side. It never really caught on. The dry time is poor because a mower shreds everything and lets it lay tighter to the ground. Tends to mold before it's dry enough to bale in humid weather. Not much air movement. That said, it's been done enough to know it works, albiet not all that well. Some crops work better than others. Mixed grass hay is OK. Alfalfa or clovers don't work so well. In the one instance where I've actually seen this done, the mower was ran at a lower rpm than if it would have been doing normal bush hogging. That seemed to shred the grass less. That also created quite a load on the tractor.

/ brush hog hay #5  
I cut alot of sides out of a mans cutter in the next town but he bales Kudzu for some dairy cows. A sickle mower cant cope well with the vines. The hog chops it a bit for better drying and bailing. Also in grass he has one that has no top and only one side in it just a frame to hold the gear box. That was one of his first hay mowers.

/ brush hog hay #6  
I cut alot of sides out of a mans cutter in the next town but he bales Kudzu for some dairy cows. A sickle mower cant cope well with the vines. The hog chops it a bit for better drying and bailing. Also in grass he has one that has no top and only one side in it just a frame to hold the gear box. That was one of his first hay mowers.

That makes sense- converting a brush hog to a one-rotor disc mower by removing the top and most of the side covering. Almost makes me want to get out the tools and tear into my 6-ft Hawkline hog. Maybe next year.

/ brush hog hay #7  
I have used a 5' brush cutter to cut grass for baling. Keep the ground speed up so it gets cut and cycled only once within the deck. Sharp blades are an advantage to this process. I used a 5 bar rake with the rotors nearly perpendicular to the windrow. This 'ropes' the hay into a stranded row that baler teeth can pull up. Make sure you replace any missing baler pickup teeth. Bales tend to be loose and flakes fragile because there's not a lot of grass interleaving to hold a flake together. BUT, the process works, the hay is real good because the mangled hay dries very fast. Makes quite a mess in the barn, too, but creativity superceeds ignorance and unavailability all the time.