Need advice on Cub Cadet / Yanmar

/ Need advice on Cub Cadet / Yanmar #1  

FINDCTR

We are currently a single point Mahindra dealer and are considering adding the Cub Cadet Yanmar product of compact tractors. The 24, 29,32 and 45. I have heard excellent comments about the product but some grave concerns about the parent company MTD. Would like to hear any and all serious opinions especially from a viewpoint of this being a possible business opportunity. Lets hear the opinions! Thanks Dave

/ Need advice on Cub Cadet / Yanmar #2  
Although Yanmar has an excellent reputation, Cub Cadet doesn't especially share that. Resale has been traditionally low though some of the tractors were excellent. I have an Engineer friend that has one of the Mitshubitsi (sp) Cubs, and it's an excellent tractor, but he wasn't offered anything for it in trade on a larger tractor. I think that, parts supply, and past history in general will make a lot of potential buyers leary. There just doesn't seem to be enough price differential to justify that risk in many buyers eyes. There is a Cub Cadet dealer in Chichester, NH that is nearly across the road from a Bobcat dealer. I wonder every time I pass how they are doing relative to each other, and because of each other. A Massey dealer a few miles down the road doesn't seem to have been affected much by either one. It would be interesting to have the sales figures on that little triangle of dealers.

/ Need advice on Cub Cadet / Yanmar #3  
How does it affect parts availability if either of Yanmar or MTD decides to go another direction in the future? If you are relying on their marriage and they split, then where are you as a dealer?

/ Need advice on Cub Cadet / Yanmar #4  
We are currently a single point Mahindra dealer and are considering adding the Cub Cadet Yanmar product of compact tractors. The 24, 29,32 and 45. I have heard excellent comments about the product but some grave concerns about the parent company MTD. Would like to hear any and all serious opinions especially from a viewpoint of this being a possible business opportunity. Lets hear the opinions! Thanks Dave

Dave,

I've owned grey market Yanmars and loved them. I own an MTD Cub Cadet which has been less than perfect from day 1. I wish I would never had purchased it. I own a 15-Series Mahindra which I absolutely love. Had I bought it when it was a 7200-Series Cub Cadet, I'd have been pretty unhappy when they dropped Mitsubishi.

I don't know what part of the state you are in, but I'm assuming that you have a fair number of agricultural customers and logging customers. I'm not in the business, but from my perspective, I'd be looking at lines that fill in where Mahindra does not -- which I think is probably getting harder and harder below 75 hp. American name recognition, including Kubota, is probably one of the few areas where you might make headway alongside Mahindra-- but, in my opinion, probably not with Cub Cadet. I think there are way too many of us who remember the really good Cub Cadet line going way down in quality when they became MTD. I'm sorry to see that Yanmar lent their really great reputation to them. I think it will hurt Yanmar in the long run.

I don't know what you've got for implements, but that would be the other area I'd look at. But, that too seems to be really squeezed if you are going up against Tractor Supply and Southern States.

Oh, and Welcome to TBN. Please come back and ask a lot more questions. Don't forget to visit the Mahindra forums. There are several really great Mahindra dealers who provide tremendous help to owners, without steppping on each other's toes.

Knute

/ Need advice on Cub Cadet / Yanmar #5  
I looked quite seriously at a CC/Yanmar tractor...as well as several other brands. I found a used 790 Deere and went that direction instead. After making my purchase I had both the CC/Yanmar and a Bobcat dealer call me with some very good prices for 30 hp tractors....I was a bit surprised how much they discounted the prodoucts from list prices. Their have been times I wondered if I should have bought new....but I am pleased with my choice...so far. It seems that there are allot of brands to pick from right now in a fairly small marketplace (?). The 0% financing and rebates offered by both brands were pretty enticing.

I really liked the features of the CC/Yanmar ES3200 (basically an upgraded 790 with a hydro tranny and improved capacity hydraulics and a bit more weight - exactly what the 790 needs to compete with many of the others). From what I read, Yanmar and CC were both pretty committed to the new marriage.....but I dont feel the CC brand brings much credibility to the product line. There was a time that would have worked...but thats about 15 years ago. It appears as tho the model lineup will be quite substantial when all the models are available.

Having the CC dealers already in the biz will help....but the CC dealers around these parts are mostly lawn tractor oriented and seldom sell the implements and the goods a CUT buyer needs....at least thats what I saw when shopping. It seems as tho they have not had much hype or press for a new product line. I hope the CC/Yanmar is successful....as it sure seems to be well designed equipment.

All the above is just my $.02 worth and opinion.

/ Need advice on Cub Cadet / Yanmar #6  
I owned a CC 28 hp tractor. I traded it in on a 45hp Kioti. I was not a very big fan of the CC tractor, it broke down early and often. I will not sit here and badmouth them, it is just one guys experience. By the way, the CC dealer I was dealing with before was a decent guy, now he also carries mahindra tractors.

/ Need advice on Cub Cadet / Yanmar #7  
HAYSEED same thing here . the closest CC dealer has also switched to mahindra , although he still carries the CC lawn tractor series

/ Need advice on Cub Cadet / Yanmar #8  
We sold Cub Cadet back when they sourced from Mahindra and Daedong and ultimatly dumped them because of problems getting parts. The Mitisubishi tractors where good machines... the others... not so much. I've seen the Yanmars, not too impressed... especialy with the subcompact.

/ Need advice on Cub Cadet / Yanmar #9  

It would seem that being a current Mahindra dealer, adding CC / Yanmar could be viewed as counterproductive.

Reason?

You're already a dealer in some of the heaviest-built (for their size) units out there. CC / Yanmars seem to be built on the lighter side, including capacities.

Mahindra makes tractors of all sizes, so what would you gain in terms of product line?

I'm no expert, but I think you already sell one of the finest.

MY .02

Lunk

/ Need advice on Cub Cadet / Yanmar #10  

Well, if you read enough threads here you could ALMOST believe that YOU could be the pivot point.
So many threads asking, "Should I (or would you) buy brand X or brand Y ?" are answered with, "Depends on your local dealer(s) as much or more than the brand name."

Mess it up and you fail, work hard at keeping customer satisfaction above your competitor's and "They will come."