Stump removal

/ Stump removal #1  

dewink

Tractor
John Deere 4110
I am purchasing a JD 4110 and I have a lot of stumps i would like to remove. I am getting the FEL with it and i have read some posts that says it can be done with the FEL. the reason i am asking is because my father-in-law says there is no way you can remove a stump with a FEL, and that you have to have a backhoe. I would like to prove him wrong! Can I?

/ Stump removal #2  
On the Build It Yourself forum a little bit back, a post was make showing a homemade tree puller for a FEL bucket. Basically its a horizontal tooth bar that traps the tree at its base and you pull it out of the ground roots and all.

Of course it will only work on trees you tractor is capable of pulling, but those spindly 2-3 inch trees that grow on fence lines are likely targets. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Jon

/ Stump removal #3  
Of course a backhoe is the best to remove stumps, but it can be done w/ loader. See this Unbelievable thread. I haven't tried this method yet, but it looks impressive.

--Brad

/ Stump removal #4  
Stump removal w/ a FEL is dependent on 2 factors: The size of the stump and the size of the tractor.

I have a bx 2200 and successfully removed a 4" sycamore stump in about 3 minutes. I have another 12" stump of an unknown type that I can't budge. I am doing the backhoe work on this one w/ my back and my hoe.

mark

/ Stump removal #5  
There is a lot of if's with this question. What size tractor? What size stump? What kind kind of stump....hard wood, soft wood? And a biggie, what kind of soil is it sitting in?

Digging a soft wood stump out of sand is a lot easier than a mighty oak out of hard clay.

If the stump is a foot accross we usually cut as low as we can, drill some holes in it, soak it in diesel a few days and throw a bag or two of charcoal or stoker coal on it. Wrap a turkey in several layers of foil, and toss it on.

Then comes the tough part... Drink a brew, turn the turkey; drink a brew, turn the turkey. repeat until turkey is done......... Tom

/ Stump removal #6  
Burning stumps beats he11 out of fixing busted loaders.
Get an old milk can and a small blower. Cut bottom from milk can, install blower onto top of can, or duct fitting there and duct blower from remote location.
Put can over stump and pour in 1/2 bag charcoal.
Light charcoal, attach blower and turn on.
Sit in comfortable chair and supervise, with handy hot dog on stick just in case some dipwad calls fire department.
Diesel fuel added to stump makes it a lot harder to cinvince the firemen you are roasting a hotdog.

/ Stump removal #7  
/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif I like it!! taking this one home to mama - she just got involved in stump removal in other ways than just shaking her head at me when I lift my rear wheels off the ground.../w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
mike

/ Stump removal #8  
Especially if you have a couple of old tires burning there as well...
Seriously, trying any stump bigger than 2 or 3 inches with a tractor that small is asking for trouble. You will be exerting alot of stress on one side or the other of the loader frame. This can be a bad thing because you will likely end up twisting the frame on the tractor, or damaging the arms of your loader or both. If I were you, I would hire someone with an excavator to come take them out. You can also rent a stump grinder fairly inexpensively. Trust me on this one. Good luck with your endeavor!

/ Stump removal #9  
Here is a picture of a stump I dug out with my FEL. It took some digging and some time, but out it came. I just installed a tooth bar and am anxious to try it on another stump.
David

Attachments

• 47-150740-tractor1stump0.jpg
    47-150740-tractor1stump0.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 395
   / Stump removal #10  
Wow, that's a heck of a stump for an FEL! Do you approach it from different angles till it comes out or..?

Pete