What was the most economical 100 h.p. plus or minus tractor you owned?

/ What was the most economical 100 h.p. plus or minus tractor you owned? #1  

Baranx4

Gold Member
This doesn't just mean fuel costs but operating costs also. I'm interested in tractors that were out of warranty that didn't break the bank.

/ What was the most economical 100 h.p. plus or minus tractor you owned? #2  
John Deere 4020D. Good on fuel and last for ever.

Dan

/ What was the most economical 100 h.p. plus or minus tractor you owned? #3  
The 4020 is probably the best known of any JD tractor or for that matter any tractor. Reliable and used by thousands of farmers as the main tractor in their day. Owned International 756 (76 pto hp), German diesel with over 10,000 hours and used hard. Never overhauled. 3-4 main clutches. 2 pto clutches. Sold it on farm sale for more than it bought new. Still have an International 806 propane (95 pto hp) with 7000 hours which we still use but mostly for minor chores. Never overhauled, uses no oil. Still have and use International 1086 cab with 4000 hours. Runs perfect except for A/C - has a leak but was converted to R134. The 1066 and 1086 were probably one of the best and most widely known tractors produced by International. The X56 series were very good in the smaller models - 656,756 with the German diesels. The larger 56 series had rear end problems and engine issues. Too much hp for the engine and rear ends.

The International 806 propane will probably become a collectors item some day. Not very many made and considered rare by collectors.

/ What was the most economical 100 h.p. plus or minus tractor you owned? #4  
Speaking as someone who's owned several Deere's, they generally weren't known for their mizerly fuel consumption. They're great tractors, generally speaking, but fuel economy wasn't their strong suit. In the last few years, they've improved their fuel use considerably.

Massey Ferguson's with Perkins diesels are amongst the best if fuel economy. Also, IH tractors in the 80/110hp range, provided they haven't been "turned up", are right there at the top of the charts.

A great deal depends on HOW OLD you're looking at.

/ What was the most economical 100 h.p. plus or minus tractor you owned? #5  
Had a 68 hp JD 2520 put 9,800 hours on it before I sold it . put 3 water pumps on it and two clutches a few other thing and it still run good when I sold it. I have a 1997 Massey 283 4WD and it is not the man the JD 2520 was. But the JD 4020 is the best tractor ever made.

/ What was the most economical 100 h.p. plus or minus tractor you owned? #6  
Hmm.. operating costs?

My ford 5000 probably beats my 7610s in that department. Both have been great nearly trouble-free tractors, though I have had to replace a hyd valve on the 7610s that cost a few hundred bucks... still.. in the big scheme of things.. that ain't bad either.

Can't wait to replace some of that tall rubber on either tractor..

soundguy

/ What was the most economical 100 h.p. plus or minus tractor you owned? #7  
But the JD 4020 is the best tractor ever made.

They may be the best, but I hate running them. Never know for sure what gear you're in. Never know for sure how to get to the gear you want. Never know when your gear selection efforts are going to cause the linkage to bind up and leave you dead in the water while cursing and pulling at that da*ned shift lever. All from trying to be "smart" and put a dual range transmission on a single shift lever.

But that's not all. They guzzle fuel. They tend to run hot when worked hard. And when you crank the wheel fast for a quick right turn, the fronts take their good ol' time responding. Maybe "back in the day" they were alright.

If they had simple a dual-stick shift linkage, I could forgive the rest.

They're a little above your stated power range, I tend to like the Deere 4440 and 4640. They're thirsty, but they'll work their tails off and just run and run. Never owned either, but have spent a lot of time on them.
Bob

/ What was the most economical 100 h.p. plus or minus tractor you owned? #8  
I have had many tractors would buy and sell tractors and use them on the farm as far as JD they were ok ,fuel economy was fair biggest problems I had with JD was roosa master pumps the would tend to leak in the crank case
Ford 5000 you know what they say there's a ford in everyone's life Thank God there was only one,and it sucked down some fuel. Same Drago excellent on fuel had 4800 hrs on clock when I bought it and clock was broken .owned it for 6 years probably put on about 500-600 hrs a year on it no problems and tractor still had paint on all the bolt and nuts so I know the drive train and engine were never opened.Same Solar no problems except for cab heater
Long 445 2Wd owned for 13 years excellent on fuel replaced starter brushes +
ps seal kit.and I kicked the snot out of this tractor always started without thermo-start no matter how cold it was.JD 950 tractor OK but the worst fuel economy of any tractor I have ever owned.

/ What was the most economical 100 h.p. plus or minus tractor you owned? #9  
John Deere 4020D. Good on fuel and last for ever.

Dan
Dan, you couldn't have compared that to many other tractors for the fuel. Local's here often joke about needing a fuel trailer behind those. It is one of the best that jd has built for relaibilty.

/ What was the most economical 100 h.p. plus or minus tractor you owned? #10  
I have to agree with the 1086 comment; we had one for YEARS, and the only thing to go wrong on it (ironically enough) was the A/C. It would run for days on a tank of fuel, and had a great deal of power. It was a great tractor to run.

We now have a new John Deere 6000 series that is also incredibly fuel efficient (I'm very impressed to date) and has a TON of power...but was very, very, VERRRRY expensive to purchase.