winter skidding

/ winter skidding #11  
Adi

How is your 3400 in the woods. I almost pulled the trigger on one but one thing kept knawing at me and the arrogance of the dealer pushed it over to a non purchase. If you bring your cut into the woods, how have the exposed tie rods held up. I was really concerned about bending them up real good in my woods and the deaker did little to reassure me of a feasible solution. At any rate I didn't purchase one then but the tractor is on my short list. You've got way more patience than me. A flat and a trailer stuck would have put me back in the house until the next day or when the karma was better.

I have some of the roughest terrain going. I basically own 135 acres in the side of a mountain. I grow rocks! Aside from clearing snow in the winter, the tractor spends most of its time in the woods skidding logs & towing my wood trailer.

I have yet to even scratch the paint on my tie rod ends. I don't baby my tractor (don't tell anyone, but I've only washed it once in 3 years), but I sure do make a point not to go bushwacking with it. I really haven't put much thought to caring for the tie rod ends. The axle is at least 4" in diameter, maybe as much as 5", so I'm scanning the terrain for anything that would hit the bottom of the axle first. The tie rods are a good 7-8" above the bottom of the axle! I usually go real slow & leave the FEL down if there is a question.

/ winter skidding
I have some of the roughest terrain going. I basically own 135 acres in the side of a mountain. I grow rocks! Aside from clearing snow in the winter, the tractor spends most of its time in the woods skidding logs & towing my wood trailer.

I have yet to even scratch the paint on my tie rod ends. I don't baby my tractor (don't tell anyone, but I've only washed it once in 3 years), but I sure do make a point not to go bushwacking with it. I really haven't put much thought to caring for the tie rod ends. The axle is at least 4" in diameter, maybe as much as 5", so I'm scanning the terrain for anything that would hit the bottom of the axle first. The tie rods are a good 7-8" above the bottom of the axle! I usually go real slow & leave the FEL down if there is a question.

If you can with all this snow or if you have any previously taken, I'd like to compare my turf with yours so any pictures would be appreciated. I've bent my tierod on my JD twice and its behind the axle. I had to slam on another pipe over it to strenghthen it up. I try to be as ginger as possible but as you can see from my pics, not to bushwack is almost an impossibility. I'm wondering if Kubota has some type of guard or skid plate for its stuff. I wish I had a more friendly dealer. He seems not to want to talk unless you buy the tractor first. Real good future goodwill layer. I understand the father was better and built the business. The son almost seems to have a chip on his shoulder because he has to be there. At any rate, thanks for some real use info. We seem to have identical use factors for our tractors. I thought I'd get a whole bunch of pictures showing people using their cuts as skidders which I'd love to see, but I guess skidding is not such a prevalent use for most of the folks here.

Attachments

• 2009 jd pics 012.jpg
    2009 jd pics 012.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 260
   / winter skidding #13  
If you can with all this snow or if you have any previously taken, I'd like to compare my turf with yours so any pictures would be appreciated. I've bent my tierod on my JD twice and its behind the axle. I had to slam on another pipe over it to strenghthen it up. I try to be as ginger as possible but as you can see from my pics, not to bushwack is almost an impossibility. I'm wondering if Kubota has some type of guard or skid plate for its stuff. I wish I had a more friendly dealer. He seems not to want to talk unless you buy the tractor first. Real good future goodwill layer. I understand the father was better and built the business. The son almost seems to have a chip on his shoulder because he has to be there. At any rate, thanks for some real use info. We seem to have identical use factors for our tractors. I thought I'd get a whole bunch of pictures showing people using their cuts as skidders which I'd love to see, but I guess skidding is not such a prevalent use for most of the folks here.

I would love to have some pictures of me working the tractor (if for nothing else, just to show the grandkids), but getting my wife to take pictures of me on the tractor are slim. (She thinks my obsession with chainsaws, tools, tractors & guns are toys, even though I will be passing most of them on to my kids & grandkids long after her shoes, clothes, candles & makeup are gone).

I do need to take the time to get some pics this summer. I have one picture here at work. It was taken three years ago, shortly after I built my garage. Behind the tractor is the beginning of the road up the mountain where we moved the ledge rock out of the way with an excavator.

I know it really sucks doing 15 (full) cords of firewood by yourself. Heck, I'd be happy to have my father come to my house & run just the tractor. I'd do all of the chainsaw work & hooking up logs etc. I burn up so much energy by myself. On & off the tractor, starting 7 stopping the saw... My son is 3, so I have a ways to go before he can run the tractor. I told him I would buy him his own chainsaw when he can shave!

Attachments

• DSC00009.JPG
    DSC00009.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 173
   / winter skidding #14  
My neighbor let her brother in law into her wooded lot to take what ever he wanted, I wasn't to thrilled being in view of my house but I helped him out by skidding a few pcs, push the tops into a pile and load his truck. didn't get any pics though.

I've done alot of favors for her over the years so she offered me to take what I wanted, as there are plans to build in there, but the plans are on hold for now so I told her if and when they really start building I'll take a few choice 2'+ in diameter oaks and hickory's. Hate to cut a live tree just to burn, haven't had to cut any standing live trees in a few years as there's enough dead ones. I only burn maybe 3 cords max with a fire place in the family room and an outdoor stone fireplace we use for cook outs.

Your wood look well seasoned also were those downed by wind/ old age?
By the Looks of that pile you have a pretty good supply now.

Good luck,
JB.

/ winter skidding
My neighbor let her brother in law into her wooded lot to take what ever he wanted, I wasn't to thrilled being in view of my house but I helped him out by skidding a few pcs, push the tops into a pile and load his truck. didn't get any pics though.

I've done alot of favors for her over the years so she offered me to take what I wanted, as there are plans to buia fire place in the family room and an outdoor stone fireplace we use for cook outs.

ld in there, but the plans are on hold for now so I told her if and when they really start building I'll take a few choice 2'+ in diameter oaks and hickory's. Hate to cut a live tree just to burn, haven't had to cut any standing live trees in a few years as there's enough dead ones. I only burn maybe 3 cords max with Your wood look well seasoned also were those downed by wind/ old age?
By the Looks of that pile you have a pretty good supply now.

Good luck,

Thanks JB

I would think your 4310 would be pretty good at skidding logs out. You're exactly correct. This wood is blow down and like you, have not cut a live tree on my property for a good amount of years. Although it may look like plenty, I need to have at least half more. I just built a hood for my wood stove which is in the cellar and vented it to the living room. Hopefully this will cut down on my wood use but we'll see. We live in about the same territory so your woods must look alot like mine.

Anybody have skidding pictures I'd love to see em. It can't be just Northland, Adiredneck and myself using their tractors as such. We have a foot of snow on the ground and I'm bringing stuff my tractor has no business dragging in if it weren't for the snow. Its as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

/ winter skidding #16  
Good Afternoon Lou,
Nice pics thanks !

Looks like youve got cabin fever to me ! ;) I thought I had a couple of pics of some log dragging activities but cant seem to find them ! :confused:

Actually on my property, with the exception of my back corner Im able to get to just about anything thats dead through the fields ! ;)

This is the best I can come up with ! :)

BTW I guess you call this the lazy mans way ! ;)

Attachments

• 852491-MF1.JPG
    852491-MF1.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 100_0971.jpg
    100_0971.jpg
    472.4 KB · Views: 225
   / winter skidding #17  
Do you go around in circles with just one rear tire chained ?

I saw an old frenchman in the north woods driving like **** on a private logging road. I caught up with him at the woodyard and asked him why one chain on the rear and one on the front. One to go and one to steer he told me with a grin.

/ winter skidding #18  
We have had a prefect winter for working in the woods. It's been warm enough I could have been out in the camper at the Play Farm for 3 to 4 day trips pretending to to emulate Paul and Babe. Unfortunately my time is spent acting as a chair weight!:eek::eek: Not near as interesting or rewarding.:eek:

But I do have some pictures from years past of my toy tractor pulling logs.:D

Attachments

• logs.JPG
    logs.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 228
  • skidding.jpg
    skidding.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 195
   / winter skidding
Thanks Scott and Egon

Scott, if I didn't know you lived in Vermont, I'd say you reside in West Virginnie. Where is East wells in relation to Okemo in Ludlow. I don't know about you but taxes in Ludlow would make you want to move. You have a mighty pretty vista. Looks like fine coyote shootin country if your county isn't gun shooting restricted that is. That would be my perfect scenario. Your landscapes, with a hundred acre wood lot and about a 20 acre pond for fishing. Egon. I almost made it up your way this past summer. The wife and I have targeted Nova Scotia for our next motorcycle trip. Some of your terrain must be beautiful as well. Lets see, if I had your machine Egon, I'd attempt to hitch up to an 18" 14' oak and see how far I could bring it. That snow cover would be perfect for that. You'd probably need chains however but it would be fun to see.
Tessiers, on that day I did not know I had slipped a chain until I got to the hitch and at that point , I did not know where that chain was. I hooked up any way and had little trouble so I am assuming the chained tire was my drive wheel because my trac lock effects the right rear. I found the chain on the way in. It was an aggravating day but to be out in those woods was all that mattered

/ winter skidding #20  
I did have chains on all four wheels on the Kubota. :D

Some no snow dragging pictures.:D

Attachments

• Poplar log.JPG
    Poplar log.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 163
  • F1000018.JPG
    F1000018.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 176
  • skid 1.JPG
    skid 1.JPG