Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    5300 JD 4X4

Default Re: winter skidding

One of the folks was asking about a bellypan. I made this one for my JD5300. I do get into some very bad terrain when mowing at times. To protect the underside I put this on and in the back it has flanges that go out a bit to protect the filter and plumbing.
    Also I tossed in the Hyd winch pic. I can use it with the bucket on or off, usually on. Don't use it for logging up front, but I sure use it a lot for most everything else. Also made a small jib for loading things on a truck. Needed to get away from the front of the tractor. This just locks in the front crossbars by gravity. I can roll it back quite a bit if I have to bring the load closer. It works quite well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4300

Great idea for the winch, what strength is it? I've got a spare 3000lb Champion that would fit my 4300 like that. I've got a 8000lb goes on the back for skidding but unless we get rid of some of our 30" of bush snow I'm gonna need both front chains AND a front winch :-)

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kioti LK3054w/cab

no skidding here to far 5 miles round trip. hauled 7 loads like this.hope this isnt to many pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -firewood-1-jpg   -100_0745-jpg   -100_0746-jpg   -firewood-2-jpg   -firewood-3-jpg  

-firewood-4-jpg   -firewood-5-jpg   -100_0728-jpg   -100_0729-jpg   -100_0731-jpg  

-100_0732-jpg   -100_0733-jpg   -100_0734-jpg   -100_0736-jpg   -100_0737-jpg  

-100_0738-jpg   -100_0739-jpg   -100_0740-jpg   -100_0741-jpg   -100_0742-jpg  

-100_0743-jpg  

Nice operation. Nice pictures.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtnut View Post
    no skidding here to far 5 miles round trip. hauled 7 loads like this.hope this isnt to many pictures.
    Too many pictures? Are you kidding, for me there wasn't enough. I love this stuff. I also love the old style tractor hoods instead of the insect looking ones they have now. Unfortunately, I can't forward my logs like you are because you just can't get that size trailer thru my dense woods. Even if the paths were wide enough, the rock outcroppings would stop you cold. If we both had grapples, it would make plucking out of the trailer easier but I would want a bigger tractor than my jd 750. You raise an interesting issue. What if you do not have your tractor to unload the trailer and your flat bed doesn't dump. How would you get the wood off? I guess a dump trailer large enough to fit the tractor on would be more appropriate. I'm thinking if I need to get to a remote site and trailer my tractor over. I'd use the tractor to load up there of course, what do I use to unload when I get home and my tractor is still at the logging site? Those dump trailers get mighty expensive.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kioti LK3054w/cab

yes i was very lucky last spring,i purchased some property from a 500ac tract of land out the road from me & they came in & timbered & cut a road in.ended up getting permission to take all the bad logs,bucked ends that were left buy the logging crews.everything was easy to get at,when they left a stageing area i would go in & clean up what was left in the stageing area.i have enough wood for 6 years.

i am working on a grapple, started it for the wood i got but ran out of time i had to get the wood out buy the time the loggers finished their last cut. i needed something that would pick up logs & bucked ends without the dirt,most of the ends were to big for a bucket & would fall through the forks so i made a (forket).will post picture.one of my pics does show it.i will be adding a grapple to it maybe this summer.in the pic the middle is filled in & 3 more spikes were added to the middle before i used it. the (forket) worked great.
    some of the logs i hooked the winch on my atv to & drug them off they slide easy on the wooden floor.i do have a 4'x8' dump trailer that i built but the logs were way to big the trailer in the pictures is 7'x18'.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -100_0713-jpg  

Tractor
    John Deere 790 w/ 300 loader

Like the pics dirtnut! I also "tractor log" on my small timbered lot for firewood! Much enjoyment, satisfaction.
    790 JD W/ 300 loader
    Lots of implements for loader and 3pt
    Can't do it burn'n diesel, is not worth do'n

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kioti LK3054w/cab

it is great.my wife can never understand how i get enjoyment & satisfaction out of work. its even better when its your equipment & attacments that you build & use to make things easier.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    5300 JD 4X4

Pat, that is an 8000lb hyd winch in the JD. I have been out of the state for a bit, sorry for the late reply.

My snow is too deep for winter skidding............ For now. Give it a couple of weeks.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast