winter skidding

/ winter skidding
My snow is too deep for winter skidding............ For now. Give it a couple of weeks.

I ran into the same problem last year. It gets too difficult after a couple of feet. This year,December and January were perfect with no more than 14" on the ground at any one time around my house. Hope yours clears up a bit soon.

/ winter skidding #42  
I did some interesting winter skidding on Sunday. I dropped a big ash tree that I noticed was dead over the summer. It was in a hedgerow in one of the lowest areas on my farm and it fell onto an ice-covered flooded area. When I saw that the fall did not break the ice, I figured it was plenty thick and decided to try and skid it. I used my smallest tractor to minimize the chances of breaking thru (10 hp Farmall cub). I could not believe how effective that little tractor was at skidding out that tree. After cutting the tree into about (4) pieces with the chainsaw, I never even had to get off the tractor. I simply placed the ring of a set of skidding tonges over cultivator lift bar on the back, backed up to the logs, lowered the hydraulics, lifted one end of a log a bit, and dragged. I had the whole tree dragged up to some high ground in short time with minimal effort. With chains on the rear tires, and weighted down by the logs, they hardly even spun on the ice or going uphill in some fairly deep, slushy snow.

/ winter skidding
I did some interesting winter skidding on Sunday. I dropped a big ash tree that I noticed was dead over the summer. It was in a hedgerow in one of the lowest areas on my farm and it fell onto an ice-covered flooded area. When I saw that the fall did not break the ice, I figured it was plenty thick and decided to try and skid it. I used my smallest tractor to minimize the chances of breaking thru (10 hp Farmall cub). I could not believe how effective that little tractor was at skidding out that tree. After cutting the tree into about (4) pieces with the chainsaw, I never even had to get off the tractor. I simply placed the ring of a set of skidding tonges over cultivator lift bar on the back, backed up to the logs, lowered the hydraulics, lifted one end of a log a bit, and dragged. I had the whole tree dragged up to some high ground in short time with minimal effort. With chains on the rear tires, and weighted down by the logs, they hardly even spun on the ice or going uphill in some fairly deep, slushy snow.

Now you know why I love winter skidding if using smaller equipment to skid logs with. I call snow and ice "skidding lube"

/ winter skidding #44  
It is good lube, but the problem I usually have is too much of it. I am in an area that really gets dumped on with snow. I dropped a bunch of other trees Sunday way out back that I wont be able to drag out with heavier equipment until June or so. I wont be able to use the cub then because it will be busy cultivating corn. I might see one year in ten when conditions are right (good frost but little snow) for winter skidding.

/ winter skidding
It is good lube, but the problem I usually have is too much of it. I am in an area that really gets dumped on with snow. I dropped a bunch of other trees Sunday way out back that I wont be able to drag out with heavier equipment until June or so. I wont be able to use the cub then because it will be busy cultivating corn. I might see one year in ten when conditions are right (good frost but little snow) for winter skidding.

I run my wood schedule during Oct-January. In Oct-Nov, I'll buck and split. I let the wood lie just as it fell from the splitter. In Dec. -Jan., I'll skid. Here in RI, I'm opposite your situation getting 2 out of ten seasons where there's too much snow on the ground. I have skidded with as much as 18" on the ground but the first few cycles are miserable. Until I get some snow packing, Its too much of a pain with hitches having to be light. That 6-12" with frozen ground is a beautiful thing. Does not tear up the forest floor either.