Studs!!!

/ Studs!!! #1  

jcmseven

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320; 4520
No, not we posters on TBN, though we are all "studs", and we know it. I had a question to ask those from our Northern clims about these. I live in Western NC and although we do not get a huge amount of snow, where I live (4000' feet) we get a fair amount of the white stuff each winter. I plow snow with my JD Gator XUV, and have plowed with tractors as well including the JD 3720 and 4520. One reason I plow with the Gator is that when I owned my larger tractors, I would slip often when stopping and turning around. Where I live the roads are along terraces and at times are extremely steep, many times greater than 20%, with no shoulder to prevent a long and potentially painful (or deadly) fall. I plow our private road and several drives locally also, and notice that even on my Gator, I feel "less than confident" stopping and making turns when it is slick. All the machines I have used for plowing plow fine; I am looking for better traction/confidence when plowing steep areas where I have to manuver or make frequent turns. In short I would like my plowing machine, whatever that may be to grip slick hills and driveways better. I have thought about chains, but I find them aggravating to mount and since my Gator can effectively plow at 10-15 MPH I would prefer not to have the rough ride or a trhown chain at that speed. I have heard about tire studs and every now and then see a car or post office truck with them but did not know if they would be a legitimate way to inhance grip on the slippery hillsides I occasionally have to plow. Do they really work, and if so would this address my problem?

John M

/ Studs!!! #3  
Gold ice studs that are used for ATV's, motorcycles, etc. You can screw them in and then take them out in the spring. Do a Google search or search my profile for previous posts. I use chains and the gold ice studs on the rear tire lugs. I bought the studs from Dennis Kirk, but, they are sold in various places.

/ Studs!!! #4  
Studs will work best on solid ice. Been to Montana at my Aunt and Uncles house in the winter. Solid ice and studs the cars do not move. If it's slush, mud, etc, chains would probably work better. JMO.

/ Studs!!! #5  
Studs will work best on solid ice. Been to Montana at my Aunt and Uncles house in the winter. Solid ice and studs the cars do not move. If it's slush, mud, etc, chains would probably work better. JMO.

Some of these CUT's including earlier models of my tractor don't have clearence on the back tires for chains. Wheel spacers are not available unless you have them manufactured (if you can find someone to make them) and they are not cheap. Running chains on the front only has it's own problems. So, I guess anything in the tires is better then just sitting spinning your wheels.

/ Studs!!! #6  
I would think the studs would help alot. I've watched guys ice race bikes and it is amazing what grip they have.