BX24 best headlight solution at night

/ BX24 best headlight solution at night #1  

farmerdoug

Tractor
2008 BX24
I have close to 20 stumps that I am taking out with my newly (used to me) purchased 2008 BX24. It is dark close to 5 pm so I need lights.

I picked up an LED Princeton Tec APEX 130 lumens headlamp. Bright as day at 100'. Wide angle and spot light mode both work well. This is more light than I would ever dream of.

4 AA rechargeable batteries have more than enough juice for the evening, plus you can have light in any direction you turn your head. You never throw a shadow on what you are trying to look at.

For less than $100 you have a fix for the tractor and many other uses.

I would recommend rechargeable batteries for this setup. The best batteries are eneloop as they hold a charge really well. Your most important investment is a good "smart" charger so the batteries run a long time.
I am really pleased with MAHA MH-C801D.

Anyone else have luck with led for lights? If you have a cab, then this would probably not work.

/ BX24 best headlight solution at night #2  
I picked up an LED Princeton Tec APEX 130 lumens headlamp. Bright as day at 100'. Wide angle and spot light mode both work well. This is more light than I would ever dream of.
We have used this type for years camping. Princeton Tec Apex at Great Escapes : Great gear for the great outdoors! The ones I use have selectable brightness. The dimmest setting was adequate, and making the batteries last for ever.

As and Aircraft Tech, doing rewiring of panels, this tool is a must have.
No different than doing a make over of the basement 220 panel in the dark.

Out in the middle of nowhere using these and setting up a campsite in total blackness is the only way.

Now for the tractor, which I thought this topic was, I use a rotary switch to select high output driving lights mounted on the fenders that rotate 360, and selectable from one to all.

Wood gathering for the shop stove or house, good lighting at night keeps any injury of tripping a thing of the past. It's daylight at a flick of the switch.

I only had one issue doing chores as such, when the squad car pulled in with a called in complaint from 1/2 mile through the woods claiming it had to be deer shining. A quick tour on the tractor solved their mindless thought.
Between cars and hunters, enough deer are taken. The only shooting of deer allowed is with DSLR.

/ BX24 best headlight solution at night
Thank you for your input on this. From my reading you really need to upgrade your alternator if your going to deck out the BX24 with lights, plus wiring and getting lights.

For some of us this is a bit much for a "do it yourselfer". So I was suggesting an alternative.

Are there some lower voltage lights that a person can deck out their tractor with 360 view . . . without exceeding the alternator, thus draining the battery?

Thanks for any input anyone may have.

/ BX24 best headlight solution at night #4  
1* From my reading you really need to upgrade your alternator if your going to deck out the BX24 with lights, plus wiring and getting lights.
2*For some of us this is a bit much for a "do it yourselfer". So I was suggesting an alternative.
3*Are there some lower voltage lights that a person can deck out their tractor with 360 view . . . without exceeding the alternator, thus draining the battery?
4*Thanks for any input anyone may have.
1*Not if you go about it right.
2*Ive mentioned an alternative on the formus several times.
3*There is a way.
4* Yer welcome.
Do a search on lbrown59.
I've made many post about the light subject over the past 4 years.

Last edited:
   / BX24 best headlight solution at night #5  
Thank you for your input on this. From my reading you really need to upgrade your alternator if your going to deck out the BX24 with lights, plus wiring and getting lights.

For some of us this is a bit much for a "do it yourselfer". So I was suggesting an alternative.

Are there some lower voltage lights that a person can deck out their tractor with 360 view . . . without exceeding the alternator, thus draining the battery?

Thanks for any input anyone may have.

hmm - unless i am wrong, the BX24 already comes with the upgraded alternator , not the dynamo the BX23's has so no need to upgrade anything.