FIRST Tractor- Kinda nervous!

/ FIRST Tractor- Kinda nervous! #1  

Little John

Ok, I am buying a New Holland T2220 tractor(hydro-35hp.) with loader. I also added a 6' rear blade, 12" auger and 48" rotary cutter, all Rhino equipment.
I will be using the tractor for some snow removal, food plots, general work on 36 acres.
What pitfalls should I watch for?
Any Advice with the Hydro on hills or working with the equipment?
What are the most common newbie mistakes?
THANKS!
John.

/ FIRST Tractor- Kinda nervous! #2  
Hi John and Congrat for your purchase (or upcomming purchase).

I have a removable back-hoe. Once, I removed it on a uneven ground and when it was time to put it back, I have to stop the tractor to disconnect/reconnect the hydro hoses and put it in neutral to start it back. It wasn't a steep hill, just uneven enough so the tractor started to slowly move on its own with only the hoses attached :eek:. Lucky enough, I was able to hold the tractor and quickly put it in gear to back it up a bit without breaking anything... (I guess this is a good advise for the loader as well!)

Lesson learn!!!

I'm far from being the most experienced person on a tractor but my better advise would be What ever you do, don't rush it, take your time and work it slowly...

Enjoy!

Max

/ FIRST Tractor- Kinda nervous! #3  
Ok, I am buying a New Holland T2220 tractor(hydro-35hp.) with loader. I also added a 6' rear blade, 12" auger and 48" rotary cutter, all Rhino equipment.
I will be using the tractor for some snow removal, food plots, general work on 36 acres.
What pitfalls should I watch for?
Any Advice with the Hydro on hills or working with the equipment?
What are the most common newbie mistakes?
THANKS!
John.

Nervous guy--congrats on your new tractor and implements.

With 35 hp and 36 acres I probably would have selected a 60" rotary cutter.

I only have 10 acres of flat pasture. Before I mowed it for the first time, I walked the property and found a lot of junk in the weeds that I wouldn't have wanted to run over with my brush hog rotary mower.

Careful with that FEL, especially in soft ground where the front wheels are making ruts. It's easy to get tipply with a load in the bucket when one of the front wheels drops into a rut.

If that NH has 4WD, be careful when using the FEL on concrete surfaces. The front wheels can sometimes stall when you push the bucket into a pile of something. If you're in 4WD when this happens, you coulld damage the drive train to the front wheels. Better to use 2WD in this case.

Some people consider the 3pt hitch-mounted auger (aka post hole digger, PHD) to be one of the most dangerous tractor implements. Be careful. And be sure you have your BF pipe wrench and a long cheater pipe to extract an auger that's jammed in a hole.

/ FIRST Tractor- Kinda nervous! #4  
Keep the FEL bucket low when moving around. Seat belts and parking brakes are there for a reason. Lower FEL and 3ph when parked. And if you park it in the sun, flip the seat up so it does not heat up 160* when you sit back down :eek: Slow and careful, especially on hill sides. Any hills in Wisconsin? 4wd helps with braking on loose gravel or wet grass... I keep mine in 4wd most of the time and don't worry about any wear or tear. Only have to lose control once to learn that lesson.

/ FIRST Tractor- Kinda nervous! #5  
If you don't have loaded tires, be careful with the FEL. Best to always have some kind of counter weight on back (like the cutter) when using the FEL.

/ FIRST Tractor- Kinda nervous! #6  
Read the manuals until you understand them. Good to go over them while at the equipment so it helps make sense.

Keep you fingers in your pockets when hooking up equipment..since you can not do that be sure you know where each one is to prevent major pinch job.

Be sure when you have someone helping you hook or unhook, that both of you know exactly who is doing what, how and when. Do not stand between the equipment and tractor to hook or unhook. Dangerous area. Be sure to block the equipment before you unhook. Solid blocks of treated wood works good for this. Like 6 x6 or such. Don't forget to hook and unhook the PTO shaft and again be sure fingers nor any clothing near such when on.

You don't drive in idle. The trans needs rpms to pump the fluid.

Call before you dig if any kind of utility lines could be there.

Read through threads here and other sites will help you more than you think.

/ FIRST Tractor- Kinda nervous! #7  
When using the implements around fencing go slow and watch when you turn.
It's amazing how much fence you can knock down with the loader and bushhog. :D

Have fun with your new tractor!

/ FIRST Tractor- Kinda nervous! #8  
you might want to load the rear tires at least half way with the FEL. Read your owners manual inside and out, make notes in margin when needed, when using the tractor refer to the manual over and over again. Keep the rpms up when working 1800 rpm

/ FIRST Tractor- Kinda nervous! #9  
When using the implements around fencing go slow and watch when you turn.
It's amazing how much fence you can knock down with the loader and bushhog. :D

Have fun with your new tractor!

Good Afternoon pitt_md,
Hmmm, was it the darn fence or the darn bushog ??? ;) I think I know what you mean ! :)

/ FIRST Tractor- Kinda nervous!
Ok, all good tips! My rear tires will be loaded w/washer fluid.
I figuered the auger would be a dangerous tool. But I am one of those guys that loves to plant trees. I'll go SLOW. Plus my soil is sandy loam, that should help a little.
My bucket is a 60" not the 68 that is normally put on. I wanted this for 2 reasons, 1) I dont have a lot of space in my barn and 2) I would be a little less likely to tip the dam thing over by over loading.

What RPM to use the rotary cutter? The auger? Also High, Med. or Low hydro select?