types of transmissions

/ types of transmissions #12  
That's a crock of steaming used horse feed.

Plain old gear crashbox tranny is super reliable.. as all the antique tractors running around with them.

Put 70 years on a new hydro, and abuse the fire out of it, and almost never maintain it.. ( like an old gear antique tractor trans ).. and see where you are..

Ald gear trans will run decades with worn leaky seals.. I'd like to see a hydro run with it's seals worn for decades.. on dirty oil, and no filter, and 1.5" of sand and much in the bottom of the trans sump.....

soundguy

I agree, BUT, a gear tranny will not run too long with leaky seals if you don't keep pouring the oil in.

We got 30 years out of our MF 12 hydro, worked the snot out of it, and if we had of known about the internal filter it may still be running today. Of course the heart transplant did not help, from the blown Tecumseh 12hp to a 16 hp kohler Magnum, I am sure that accelerated it a little.

Other than a Crown & Pinion replacement on our trusty 35, it is stil on the original clutch, bought new in early 1960, thousands of hours of hard work later.

Both inline for a resto. 35 first.

:)

/ types of transmissions #13  
Depends on the design of the trans... many ford trans have the 'proper oil level' at or below the trans input shaft seal level.. thus you don't loose oil out the seal on level ground anyway.

Still.. put a hydro thru that same torture tests that millions of old ger trans have been thru.. and I think you would see some difference.

Even without the hypothetical comparison.. the fact that these old gear trans are still here and going goes to prove they are reliable.. not unreliable.

As for the heckler that wanted to know how dirt gets in the sump.. how about 50 years of dust thru a breather.. or checking the dipstick with a dirty rag.. or a dirty funnel.. or a worn shifter boot letting in water and dirt..

When i got my IH the final drives had packed mud in the bottom at the sump lower covers.....lots of it.. makes ya wonder.

soundguy

/ types of transmissions #14  
Depends on the design of the trans... many ford trans have the 'proper oil level' at or below the trans input shaft seal level.. thus you don't loose oil out the seal on level ground anyway.

Still.. put a hydro thru that same torture tests that millions of old ger trans have been thru.. and I think you would see some difference.

Even without the hypothetical comparison.. the fact that these old gear trans are still here and going goes to prove they are reliable.. not unreliable.

As for the heckler that wanted to know how dirt gets in the sump.. how about 50 years of dust thru a breather.. or checking the dipstick with a dirty rag.. or a dirty funnel.. or a worn shifter boot letting in water and dirt..

When i got my IH the final drives had packed mud in the bottom at the sump lower covers.....lots of it.. makes ya wonder.

soundguy

Would you know if the MF35 was designed the same way?? I will check it out when we pull it apart for the heart transplant.

When we did the crown&pinion in Dad's 35, I was amazed at all the crap in the belly of it. We also rebuilt the pump at the same time, so while it was apart, we cleaned it up.

I would bet a hydro trans like the one in our 1523 would last too long with crap like that in the system. I would be amazed if it did.

/ types of transmissions #15  
I'm not up on MF.. but the early fergy tractors would likely be similar to the early fords..

ditto on the junk that I've seen come ut of old machines. My JD B took 4 oil changes / flushes to get all the waeter and gooey gunk out of the crankcase...

soundguy

/ types of transmissions #16  
[QUOAs for the heckler that wanted to know how dirt gets in the sump.. how about 50 years of dust thru a breather.. or checking the dipstick with a dirty rag.. or a dirty funnel.. or a worn shifter boot letting in water and dirt..

TE][/quote]

Hey thats me you are referring to but heckler I'm not. Just a poor old soul asking pertinent questions that the Sounde Man does not seem able to answerer without reverting to personal attacks!:D

You must remember I was familiar with and operated some of this equipment when it was new!:p Right, brand spanking new straight from the Dealer!:p

Now as for dust through a breather would that not be bad design?

Is the dirty rag or the dirty funnel or the worn shifter boot insinuating that all the previous owners were incapable of proper maintenance?

This seems to be one of your favorite comments so can we assume Sounde Man is the only one capable of proper maintenance? Did all those real farmers making a living with these machines not know how to maintain their equipment?:D

/ types of transmissions #17  
I'm not up on MF.. but the early fergy tractors would likely be similar to the early fords..

ditto on the junk that I've seen come ut of old machines. My JD B took 4 oil changes / flushes to get all the waeter and gooey gunk out of the crankcase...

soundguy

We used low sulfur diesel fuel conditioner, and it took care of any condensation in the oil.

KLEEN-FLO

New shifter booties also helped.
:)

/ types of transmissions #18  
Now as for dust through a breather would that not be bad design?

Not the greatest.. but then.. I don't see many filtered breathers on hyd or trans / diffy sumps of machines of that era.

Proper periodic maintenance and cleaning would sure help cut down on the accumulated crud.

Is the dirty rag or the dirty funnel or the worn shifter boot insinuating that all the previous owners were incapable of proper maintenance??

I'd have to say.. YES. I've bought tractors from owners that told me the oil was the same oil they got with it... I'm not saying ALL owners abused their machines.. but I am saying alot of machines got abused by their owners.

This seems to be one of your favorite comments so can we assume Sounde Man is the only one capable of proper maintenance? Did all those real farmers making a living with these machines not know how to maintain their equipment?:D

Look.. I don't hunt you down then misspell your handle.. and I didn't insinuate anything about my maint skill sbeing better than any other fictional person.. however.. by observation.. I've opened up lots of dirty tractors that.. well.. were not maintained well.

As for the farmers not knowing? .. I'd say it was more of no time.. or no money or resources.. or plain apathy.. vs not having the knowledge.

soundguy

/ types of transmissions #19  
Olde English my goode fellow. Some of us from the Frozen little towns in the Frozen North use the Queens English to communicate you know. We have to make use of whats at hand to get by.

So what I gather is that almost all the old tractors were not serviced properly by busy apathetic Farmers who despite the busy apathy make a living and some of them even went on to buy newer and bigger tractors and more land and so on!:D

Wonder why the newer Hydros are not filled sand and gunk? :D

Oh, my name is not heckler or did you not know that!:D Nor is it Peanut Gallery!:D

/ types of transmissions #20  
Olde English my goode fellow. Some of us from the Frozen little towns in the Frozen North use the Queens English to communicate you know.

ColoUr, :D favoUrite, :D and my favoUrite, the letter Z:D(pronounced zed :p).

How's about that, eh??:D