Kubota cold weather starting

/ Kubota cold weather starting #1  

Dogballs

Bronze Member
I have a Kubota M5040 and regularly use it in below zero temps. I use a block heater to pre-heat the engine, and it starts fine. The problem is the transmission/hydraulic takes forever to heat up once the tractors running. Sometimes I can't even get the tractor to move for a long time.

Has anyone used a magnetic block heater on the transmission? I need to figure out a way to pre-heat it, but I don't want to burn the fluid either.

Thanks for any ideas.

/ Kubota cold weather starting #2  
I have a Kubota M5040 and regularly use it in below zero temps. I use a block heater to pre-heat the engine, and it starts fine. The problem is the transmission/hydraulic takes forever to heat up once the tractors running. Sometimes I can't even get the tractor to move for a long time.

Has anyone used a magnetic block heater on the transmission? I need to figure out a way to pre-heat it, but I don't want to burn the fluid either.

Thanks for any ideas.

Dogballs, Check out this previous thread, it should answer your questions. If not just do a search on cold weather starting in this thread and you will have a bunch of info, good luck

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...p-tranny.html?highlight=cold+weather+starting

/ Kubota cold weather starting
Thanks, that answered my question. I'll try the magnetic heater and see how it works.

/ Kubota cold weather starting #4  
What is a "long time" to you? 5, 10, 20 minutes?

I have a M7040 and I usually let it idle for 20+ minutes (having been pre-heated) to let it warm up. Longer if I didn't have it plugged in.

When it's really cold it is sluggish for a few minutes until I start working it.

/ Kubota cold weather starting
Depends on the temp. If it's way below zero maybe 20-30 mins.