Redistributing Topsoil

/ Redistributing Topsoil #1  

kubotal3130

I have a field about an 1 to 2 acres in size. 6 years ago it was full of small sapling trees and growth about 6' high. Bushogged ever since and starting to look good. In some spots, I have at least a foot of good topsoil. Looking to redistribute that topsoil to other areas in order to level of this field and plant clover seed. I have lots of high and low spots. What is best way to do this? I am thinking of buying a rototiller for my Kubota L3130. I have a 7' woods rake with blade. Is it as simple as that? Any ideas would be appreciated.

/ Redistributing Topsoil #2  
A dozer service could make quick work of that and you wouldn't have to worry about snagging roots and throwing you over the hood. A tiller and box blade (or back blade) could be used to fine tune it. If you just tilled it, you still need to move dirt around then probably more tilling. Most tillers only go about 4" deep.

/ Redistributing Topsoil #3  
Is it as simple as that?

From what you have posted, yes it should be easy as that.

Here is what I would do.

-Till the ground. Hopefully only saplings were there otherwise make sure you adjust your slip clutch ensure you have shear bolt will shear.

-Try the landscape rake to relocate the loose soil from the high spots to the low spots. This should be more controllable using the 3pt hydraulics.

-Go find a nice heavy drag of some sort to pull around behind you. There are lots of ideas on this site. Logs, harrow, chain, etc... Drag the heck out of it. I find a drag is better than my landscape rake even with the gauge wheels. This will give you a good fairly packed seed bed.

- Then Soil test, amendments, sow your seed.

Yeah there are other things that may need done such as round-up, wait so much time if you have lime, etc.. Doing it perfect and getting it done don't seem to happen often in my world.

/ Redistributing Topsoil #4  
I had the same thing a few years back. I used an 8' off set disc and ground the sod in to little chunks then had a guy with a motor grader/road grader level it out for my pasture. Grinding up the sod will save a lot of problems moving dirt around so you don't get slabs of sod to level out. It took him about 1/2 a day or less to get things leveled out where all I did was drag a harrow around and re-seed where needed. You might be able to do the same with a box blade but I recomend chopping the sod first.

Dan

/ Redistributing Topsoil
Thanks for the tips. I think I am just nervous about making a big mess. It looks good the way it is but way there are too many high and low spots. Not to mention holes. I already pulled all the stumps with my backhoe. I would like to knock down a couple noles by about 2'. I am assuming I can just move the topsoil, FEL the rest (probably sandy clay) and then recover with the topsoil? Thanks

/ Redistributing Topsoil #6  
You're on the right track. I did quite a bit of this to my place a couple years ago. Wish I'd had the tiller then. It makes quick work of the sod. Pull your topsoil to a storage spot, then regrade as desired, then redistribute your top soil. A box blade with rippers will be invaluable for this project. The rake is going to take a long time to knock down a 2 foot knoll.

/ Redistributing Topsoil #7  
MODS- This thread should probably be merged as it is a duplicate post.

/ Redistributing Topsoil #8  
Go find a nice heavy drag of some sort to pull around behind you. There are lots of ideas on this site. Logs, harrow, chain, etc... Drag the heck out of it. I find a drag is better than my landscape rake even with the gauge wheels. This will give you a good fairly packed seed bed.
I rigged this drag up so I could lift it with the 3 point to turn it around.

/ Redistributing Topsoil #9  
I agree with jeffinsgf. Digging, moving, and leveling dirt is what a box blade is designed to do well.

Steve