Tires difference in front tires?

/ difference in front tires? #1  

irvingj

Elite Member
Tractor
2007 MF GC2310 TLB
Got a question-- when I bought my GC2310 a year ago, I noticed that one of the fronts still had all its casting **** in place, while the other's were completely worn off. Looked like used tire had been swapped. The "worn" tire also had a slight depression in the center, similar to what I'd expect to see on a tire that had been run over-inflated. Not a big deal, really, but...

While I had the tires off the other day, setting them side-by-side I could see that the newer-looking one was definitely a bit taller... weighing the tires, there was also a difference of 3 pounds, the "worn" one being lighter (27 vs. 24).

On these 4WD tractors, even when not in 4WD, should I be concerned that a difference in tire diameter like this will cause undue wear/problems with the drivetrain components?

The first 2 pics are from a year ago; second two are current.

Just measured the circumference of both tires at the center of the tread: 58-1/16" on the larger one, 57-15/16" on the worn one....

Attachments

• DSC01012.jpg
    DSC01012.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC01014.jpg
    DSC01014.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC01506.JPG
    DSC01506.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC01507.JPG
    DSC01507.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
   / difference in front tires? #2  
Last year would have been the time to check the tread depth and weight You could find differences from one plant to the other. Check the codes on the sidewall to see the dates of build and plant that the tires were built in.

/ difference in front tires? #3  
It's time to visit your dealer with your tires and findings.

/ difference in front tires? #4  
Sounds suspicious but using the level to check height is difficult to rely on unless you demonstrate that the tire pressures are identical.

/ difference in front tires? #5  
1/8 inch difference in circumference is sooo insignificant, also it will never even lean the tractor at all because the front axle is on a pivot.
NO way will that small difference be an issue, even if it were on a rear locked axle. KennyV.

/ difference in front tires? #6  
The **** are trimmed off at the factory. They can slip through quality control. You can see on the other tire where they were trimmed off. That weight is way too much for a passenger car anyway.

/ difference in front tires?
Thnaks for the advice, everyone.

OOPS! I goofed when I typed the measurements-- the smaller one is 56-15/16", not 57-15/16". The difference in circumference is slightly over 1" , and yes, the pressures were the same.... doesn't sound like it's a big deal, however: I just wasn't sure as the 4WD mechanism is different on these tractors than what I have experience with.

On my old 4-sp w/granny gear Blazer, if driven tires had that much of a difference percentage-wise, it would tend to bind up the spider gear(s) in the differential(s). As the saying goes, don't ask how I know about that....:eek:

I had mentioned the difference to "my" salesman shortly after I bought the tractor a year ago-- he didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about, either, but....

/ difference in front tires? #8  
Can you get the rolling circumference and / or standing height 'very' close by adjusting pressure up or down a few psi in each tire?

I've done that on old tractors where I had one new and one used tire... not ideal.. but satisfactory anyway..

soundguy

/ difference in front tires?
Sounds like it's worth a try, Soundguy. Thanks.

/ difference in front tires? #10  
Unless my calculation were in error, your tires are 18.49" and 18.45" in diameter. I cant see this as any factor in gear concern. With the slick tire tread, if they need to slip a little to make up the travel difference, it should not be an issue. With the 4 WD, the front tires always turn a fraction faster than the rear anyway when new so they are constantly slipping a small amount all the time they are in 4WD and thus wear slightly faster than the rear. After some run in time, they should come gradually more and more into same OD.