Pushing With FEL

/ Pushing With FEL #1  

SouthernX

Silver Member
I've read some posts where people discuss using their FEL to push down tree's. Naturally how big a tree you could push down would depend on your FEL and tractor size. I have a NH 2420 (60hp / 4WD) and a NH270 FEL. How big a tree could I push down without damaging the FEL? Of course pushing tree's down is dangerous and safety is important so I'd be interested in safety information also. I guess my bigger question is how much can your FEL push without breaking it. Obviously a tractor and FEL is not a bulldozer. And a FEL is probably more prone to damage than a solid blade mounted on the front end. We just had a major ice storm here in North Central Arkansas and I have some tree's which simply need to be pushed down and cut up. Which do you feel is a safer way to get a tree down... knock it down with a tractor or fell it with an axe and chainsaw?

Here are a few pictures of the storm's aftermath. That last picture is the road leading to our house.

Attachments

• m753_020909a 536.jpg
    m753_020909a 536.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 308
  • m753_020909a 538.jpg
    m753_020909a 538.jpg
    709.4 KB · Views: 217
  • m753_020909a 539.jpg
    m753_020909a 539.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 205
  • m753_020909a 550.jpg
    m753_020909a 550.jpg
    949.8 KB · Views: 215
  • m753_020909a 557.jpg
    m753_020909a 557.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 195
  • m753_020909a 561.jpg
    m753_020909a 561.jpg
    941.6 KB · Views: 188
  • m753_020909a 565.jpg
    m753_020909a 565.jpg
    938.9 KB · Views: 228
  • m753_020909a 574.jpg
    m753_020909a 574.jpg
    989.1 KB · Views: 285
   / Pushing With FEL #2  
When I'm pushing on trees trying to get them down, my limitation is the tractor. The wheels will slip or the tractor will bog down or start climbing the tree. I haven't damaged the fel in the four years of doing that. Don't know if the recommended fels for different tractors are matched like that or not.

/ Pushing With FEL #3  
IMO your not going to be pushing trees down anything near like the size of the ones in your photos, even with your 60 HP tractor.

I'm sure the tractor will be worth it's weight in gold during the substantial clean up you've got on your hands, especially those large broken limbs that are still partly attached or hanging from the tree, the loader should be capable of dislodging them safely as opposed to trying to go at them with a chain saw. But some of them widow makers way up there are just plain out of reach and the whole tree might have to be cut down, which is no easy/risk free task with them hanging over your head.

If the tree looks like it could survive,I'd try and snag those high branches with a rope and pull them from a safe distance with the tractor.

This storm is going to cause a whole lot of collateral damage/injury in the months ahead I'm afraid, as people deal with the colossal clean-up

Good Luck and stay SAFE!

JB.

/ Pushing With FEL #4  
A dozer will just drive forward and push over trees. But, unless it's a BIG one, they will raise the blade and push from higher up.

With an FEL, you can raise the FEL up high, push into the tree and then lower the bucket. You can also uncurl to add more force. Just pushing from 12-24" off the ground and a 4" tree will stop you cold. Unless the ground is marshy.

jb

/ Pushing With FEL #5  
I have pushed a 8" dead tree over with a 60 hp TLB. Go up 9-10' and push, when it starts going over drop bucket down & continue. Idea is to keep the rootball out from under the front axle.

Your case it may not work at all if the ground is frozen the rootball will stay & best case is breaking the trunk.

Another thought the roots have stored energy and by just trimming the broken branches the leftover tree may bloom.

/ Pushing With FEL #6  
I know they look horrible now, but like others have said I would clean up the branches and see what survives. I'm guessing in a couple of years you wont even be able to tell most of those trees were hit my the ice storm. Mother nature is pretty good at making messes, but she's also pretty good at getting things back to "normal" too.

Wedge

/ Pushing With FEL
IMO your not going to be pushing trees down anything near like the size of the ones in your photos, even with your 60 HP tractor.

[ snip ]

JB.

Hi JB,

Yes, some of those trees are definitely too big. I just included the pictures as an example of what a bad ice storm can do. The night of the storm I went outside and about every 30 seconds I could hear a tree snapping or splitting. It sounded like people hunting in the woods. I've never seen (or heard) anything like it.

Thanks for the input,
SouthernX

/ Pushing With FEL #8  
Those pictures look exact ally like the ice storm here in Kansas 4 years ago The sound is indescribable, after dark, you will definitely not walk out far into the woods with all the crashing you can hear. Very spooky.
You need a 4 in 1 bucket on your loader, really helps in clean up. I just finished up last summer. KennyV.
PS. where in N Arkansas are these pictures?

/ Pushing With FEL
Those pictures look exact ally like the ice storm here in Kansas 4 years ago The sound is indescribable, after dark, you will definitely not walk out far into the woods with all the crashing you can hear. Very spooky.
You need a 4 in 1 bucket on your loader, really helps in clean up. I just finished up last summer. KennyV.
PS. where in N Arkansas are these pictures?

We are between Harrison and Mt. Home.

Yes, if you would have gone into the woods you would have literally been taking your life into your own hands. Heck, just walking outside my door was something of an adrenaline raising exercise as we have several large trees near the house. My wife and I mostly sat at the kitchen table during the storm. Every time we heard a large crack and the sound of branches tumbling my wife would jump up and run to the center of the house ( and I was right behind her :) ). We did have several branches / limbs strike the house but the damage was minor ( broken siding and some guttering pulled away ). The ironic thing is that we were going to have those trees cut down this summer precisely in case something like this happened. :mad:

The storm caused a LOT of damage to electrical distribution systems. We went without power for 12 days. No lights, no stove, no heat, no hot water. Well, fortunately we were a little bit prepared. We did have a propane lanter, propane stove, and a kerosene heater. We had no hot water so we went to motel every two or three days to bath. It was something of an experience. Next year, I'll be better prepared. Just in case. We did have a new zero-clearance fireplace put in this fall but it really needs the built-in blower to be able to run to properly get the heat out. You can use the fireplace without the blower but it mostly just heats the living room area. But of course I couldn't even avail myself of that option because the rick of wood I had delivered just before the storm hit turned out to be so wet it wouldn't even burn. :mad: I think I am going to put a free standing wood stove in the kitchen so if this happens again (or something similar ) we'll have a second wood stove for additional heat and something to cook on. And from now on I'm cutting my own wood so that I know it's dry when I go to use it ( lesson learned :eek: ).

/ Pushing With FEL #10  
SouthernX I saw your post and noticed you were from Northwestern Arkansas. I looked and was very happy to see you posted today. My wife works with a lady from the bentonville area. Her husband was doing exactly what you were talking about pushing some trees down after the ice storm. Evidently one of the trees had a limb that had been weakened by the ice storm When he started pushing the tree over the limb fell off and hit him on the neck right behind his head and killed him. Pushing trees over can be a very dangerous job.