Tractor weight/horsepower question

/ Tractor weight/horsepower question #1  

acy

As I posted yesterday, I am getting ready to buy a tractor and am looking at 30 vs 35HP. As I am weighing everything, I am considering how my in-laws tractor worked for me last year. His tractor is a Massey Ferguson 1428 with hydrostatic drive with weighted industrial tires. It is 28.5HP. When pulling my cultivator, which has eleven tines and is very heavily built, there were times when his tractor felt a little underpowered. I am by no means an experienced tractor operator, so that "feeling" may not have been accurate.
There were times, when going through soil that had more/heavier plant growth to pull through, that the tractor started to lose traction and I had to lock the rear differential; then it pulled through.
Each of the three tractors I am looking at weighs about 700 to 800 pounds more than the 1428, and will have weighted Ag tires. Since the 30HP tractor I am considering(Kioti CK30), only has 1.5 more HP, and weighs 700 pounds more, will the extra 700 pounds more weight cancel out the extra 1.5HP, leaving me feeling underpowered at times? Thanks, Al

/ Tractor weight/horsepower question #2  
Al welcome to the forum. If anything I think the extra 700 pounds will help rather than make you feel underpowered. For the most part traction is where the small tractors are lacking rather than power. Weight is your friend when it comes to traction.

MarkV

/ Tractor weight/horsepower question #3  
Yeah,it will help,not hurt. Thats why you are getting the tires loaded.,course those industral tires probably hold more than the ags your getting?and course the ags should give you a little more traction in dirt.... You better be carefull,or you'll be talking your self into a 45-50 hp machine!

/ Tractor weight/horsepower question #4  
You mention in another post "...I am getting the shuttle trans..." That will help with the feeling vs. the MF1428 hydrostatic.

/ Tractor weight/horsepower question #5  
For ground engagement, weight is usually considered a good thing - Look how heavy Ag tractors, which are designed with field work in mind, are.

You are also getting the right kind of tires, and IMHO the right transmission.

.02 as always

Lunk

/ Tractor weight/horsepower question #6  
CK30 is a good machine and between the extra weight, ag vs ind tires, and gear vs hydro, you should feel an improvement. OTOH, the CK35 doesn't cost much more, and the extra 5 HP may make a difference at some point, especially when working in heavy clay soils, if you can afford the extra $6-10 a month in payment.

good luck!

/ Tractor weight/horsepower question #7  
I think that most tractors will fall in the 80# to 125# per HP range.

For example my old Yanmar 1700 weighed in at around 1500# with 20HP give or take. With loaded tires she was around 1800#. That gives you a 90# per HP ratio.

My newer 1720 New Holland tipps the scales in @ 2800# give or take and with loaded tires is probably in the 3300# range. With only 28HP she's in at around 117# per HP.

To compare the two tractors is that the Yanmar felt peppier. If I was gonna just mow with my tractor the lower weight to HP ratio is IMHO better. However, if I was gonna use my tractor for ground engagement tasks the heavier unit is much better suited eventhough the tractor may not seem as peppy.

/ Tractor weight/horsepower question
Thanks, guys, for the responses. They are helpful. Since my new tractor is going to be with me for a very long time, I hope, I believe I will spring for the 35HP even though I probably don't need it now. Maybe some time in the future I will be glad I did. Better to have and not need than someday need and not have I guess.

My wife is now just rolling her eyes whenever I start talking about what tractor to buy. I think she just wants me to buy something so I will shut up about it.:D Getting pretty close to pulling the trigger. Just a couple more places to check. Al

/ Tractor weight/horsepower question #9  
I agree with the others about the weight. Also, if you can afford it go with the35hp. I have never heard anyone say "my tractor has too much horsepower". :cool:

/ Tractor weight/horsepower question #10  
When you buy the 35hp tractor, you won't give it another thought. But if you were to buy the 30hp tractor, the time will come someday that you will think to yourself, I should have bought that 35hp tractor. You won't regret buying the 35hp tractor.

Good luck with the new machine.