What do you do with your greasy shop rags?

/ What do you do with your greasy shop rags? #1  

charlz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100D
I'm curious as to what do you guys do with your greasy shop rags? I have dirtbikes and a tractor and tend to go through a lot of paper towels. I also use rags (the red ones you buy in a bag) but since I don't have a good way to clean them I tend to avoid using them.

There is no way in &^% they are going through my wife's clothes washer ;) I keep a small used pile on hand and for really messy jobs I grab one that's at least a little cleaner than what I am working on. Eventually they may find their way into the trash can. I am aware of the danger of keeping a pile of these things around.

So what do you guys do? Just reuse till they are too dirty? Coin-op wash?

/ What do you do with your greasy shop rags? #2  
I just reuse till they are past the point of no return and then get rid of them. It seems I've always got another torn tshirt or whatever to replace an old one. Flea markets and garage sales yeild lots of old towels and stuff for cheap too.

/ What do you do with your greasy shop rags? #3  
Good question because it is dangerous keeping a pile of greasy rags in the shop. If it very greasy/oily in goes to the brush pile to burn. I do keep a 5 gallon bucket with a degreaser solution in it for reusalbe rags to soak. I like to use cutup old towels, big shop towels or cutup old sweatshirts. We use an old broom hanlde to agitate, rinse, dry and good to use again.

/ What do you do with your greasy shop rags? #4  
5 gallon bucket w/Lestoil & water mix,let rags soak couple days or so than rinse rags...rags to the point of no return,off to landfill has. recycle pickup.

/ What do you do with your greasy shop rags? #5  
I have a metal oily rag safety can that I keep them in to re-use until they are beyond the point of no return and then use them along with a road flare to start fires when needed.

We don't have trash service out here in the boonies so I have to haul everything to the dump myself and pay to dispose of it. Needless to say the only stuff that makes the trip are things I just can't take care of myself.

/ What do you do with your greasy shop rags? #6  
At work we have to put them in a metal safety can with metal lid on them.Iguess there is a danger of them catching on fire??So im told any how.When they getunusable in my garage i throw them out to the trash,making sure i dont just leave them in the waste basket inside,ill lug them to the curb.
ALAN

/ What do you do with your greasy shop rags? #7  
I usually put oily or solvent filled rags in a paint can, then throw them on a brush pile when i burn. If they're just "dirty" then they go into the garbage. Id love to find one of those safety cans to make my life easier, but last time i checked they were $$$.

/ What do you do with your greasy shop rags? #8  
I usually put oily or solvent filled rags in a paint can, then throw them on a brush pile when i burn. If they're just "dirty" then they go into the garbage. Id love to find one of those safety cans to make my life easier, but last time i checked they were $$$.

Im not sure but wouldnt a metal trask can with a cover do the same,As long as your shutting off the air supply?Mabey someone whos a fireman could give us a little info on this.
ALAN

/ What do you do with your greasy shop rags? #9  
Im not sure but wouldnt a metal trask can with a cover do the same,As long as your shutting off the air supply?Mabey someone whos a fireman could give us a little info on this.
ALAN

I imagine it would do essentially the same. I like the fact that a paint can has a positive seal though. Id also like to get a knowledgeable opinion on this as a metal garbage can would be more convenient.

/ What do you do with your greasy shop rags? #10  
One of the important things about safety cans is that the lid cannot be removed and is difficult or impossible to leave open. A metal garbage can with the lid laying beside it is not much help in containing a fire.
Most off my greasy/oily rags end up in the wood stove. Dirty ones in the garbage or maybe washed and reused. My rag box seems to stay well enough filled with retired T shirts and such.