ford 1700 wont start

/ ford 1700 wont start #1  

lawcub2001

just completed reassembly of ford 1700. new starter and alternator. rewired most everything. checked glow plugs and fuel system. turns over fine just refuses to start. any suggestions? will pull start help?

/ ford 1700 wont start #2  
if you had any of the fuel system apart you need to bleed the air out. Use your manual to do the procedure for bleeding the fuel system.

/ ford 1700 wont start
thanks, after reading this forum since i got the little beast i was sure to do that and it is working and air bubble free. filled the fuel pump with oil and checked the glow plugs. the starter is spinning freely as it is new i assumed it would be fine. it may not be turning over as fast as it was before so i think the battery may be the culprit. although it is fully charged the cranking amps may be low?

/ ford 1700 wont start #4  
just sounds like it is not getting fuel. Could try and squirt a little kerosene in the air breather (some people use starting fluid but try not using that) and see if it will fire on the kerosene if it does it just not getting fuel.
If it has a pull knob to stop engine make sure it is pushed all the way in.

/ ford 1700 wont start #5  
thanks, after reading this forum since i got the little beast i was sure to do that and it is working and air bubble free. filled the fuel pump with oil and checked the glow plugs. the starter is spinning freely as it is new i assumed it would be fine. it may not be turning over as fast as it was before so i think the battery may be the culprit. although it is fully charged the cranking amps may be low?

I would loosen a bit the nuts that holds the fuel pipes to the injector and start for 5-10 seconds. You should see fuel is spurting out around the nut. That's the only proven sign that you get fuel up to the injector. You will not see a large volume coming out only teaspoon full at a time. If you have air in the line that will expel it as well. I would not hurry up and using any volatile fuel starter or additives other than diesel. If yo have compression and fuel then there is no reason she should not start.

JC,

dsc03575k.jpg

/ ford 1700 wont start #6  
I had to tow my 1700 when I ran it out of fuel, killed the battery fast trying to crank it.
Put it highest gear, that's the only gear that will turn the engine over and not just skid the tires, tow it with another tractor or truck, mine fired right up after a little towing, 100 ft. or so.

Like JC said don't use starting fluid, I tried that and it bound the engine up tight, when it did start it sounded like it was gonna blow up for 15-20 seconds.

Good Luck, JB.

/ ford 1700 wont start
thank you all for the input. i have been reading this board since shortly after acquiring the 1700. it has been an EXCELLENT source of info. thank you all very much.
thanks also for the warning about starting fluid danger.
as i was reassembling the engine. (rweally just hanging new accessories) I bled the fuel system all the way up to the injectors and they were spraying fine. i will try a little diesel in the intake and if not then i will get some help to pull start.
this is a great little tractor that thinks it is a bull dozer when its running.
the older gent i purchased it from would spray starter fluid to get it started but once i replaced the battery it was never a problem until now.

ok this borders on TMI.
Thanks again i'll let you know the outcome!

/ ford 1700 wont start #8  
Make sure to give it at least 20 second of " glow Plug" operation by turning your key to the left (it will spring back to the normal position when you let go). That would preheat the glow plug which is a great starting assist. Let us know if you have questions about the glow plug. I know there is ton of info about it already on this site.

JC,

Ps. Glow plugs are just below the injectors on my pictures. You can use a test light or volt meter to see if you get any juice to it while keeping the switch in preheat position.

/ ford 1700 wont start
:D well gentlemen i am very happy to say all of your advice was spot on and the tractor pulled off without a hitch. thanks to a farm girl from Kentucky who volunteered to drive the truck!
but my elation was short lived when ALL THREE of the steering wheel spokes broke and i was holding a steering wheel attached to nothing. now i am having trouble getting the steering wheel hub off. of course.
doused it with penetrating oil and even BROKE a gear puller. next thought was to heat it up or just weld the steering wheel spokes back together.
never a dull moment.

and once again thank you all very much!!

/ ford 1700 wont start #10  
:D
but my elation was short lived when ALL THREE of the steering wheel spokes broke and i was holding a steering wheel attached to nothing.

and once again thank you all very much!!

Sweet:):) steering wheel in you hand:eek: well .. I just call it a minor inconvenience:D. Where you wrestling with it when it happened?

JC,

Last edited: