Does antifreeze have a shelf life?

/ Does antifreeze have a shelf life?
Thanks for all the replies and the link. My gut feeling was it would be OK. I bought it for my truck but when I started to drain the radiator I could not get the cock to open and then broke if off. I took it to the dealer at that point and then kind of forgot about having it. I am going to use it on my generator, it's overdue.

/ Does antifreeze have a shelf life? #12  
It really depends on if it's a silicate free antifreeze or not. I went to a cooling system class years ago that was put on by Havoline. They said to use silicate antifreezes within 18 months of purchase. Took me a little while but I found a link to the info on shelf life. And I have seen gelled antifreeze before. Looks just like lime jello.

Havoline.com: Products: North America: Anti Freeze/Coolants

"The primary limiting factor in the shelf life of a coolant is silicate instability. Since silicate will eventually polymerize to silicate gel, all traditional coolants have a shelf life of about 18 months. Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant DEX-COOL is silicate-free and therefore can be stored for at least 8 years without a problem, provided the integrity of the container is maintained. For information on the safe handling and use of these products, refer to their Material Safety Data Sheets. For more information and availability, call 1-866-688-8890."

/ Does antifreeze have a shelf life? #13  
It really depends on if it's a silicate free antifreeze or not. I went to a cooling system class years ago that was put on by Havoline. They said to use silicate antifreezes within 18 months of purchase. Took me a little while but I found a link to the info on shelf life. And I have seen gelled antifreeze before. Looks just like lime jello.

"The primary limiting factor in the shelf life of a coolant is silicate instability. Since silicate will eventually polymerize to silicate gel, all traditional coolants have a shelf life of about 18 months. Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant DEX-COOL is silicate-free and therefore can be stored for at least 8 years without a problem, provided the integrity of the container is maintained. For information on the safe handling and use of these products, refer to their Material Safety Data Sheets. For more information and availability, call 1-866-688-8890."

Yet another good catch on your part, DieselPower. Thanks.

/ Does antifreeze have a shelf life?
That is quite interesting. The stuff I have says it is a "low silicate formula".

/ Does antifreeze have a shelf life? #15  

Now that is confusing. If it has a shelf life of 18 months in an un-opened container, it must have a shorter life in use exposed to a daily shot of oxygen, heat cycles, etc. Does that mean that Havoline turns to gell in the truck and should be drained in less than 18 months?

jb

/ Does antifreeze have a shelf life? #16  
Now that is confusing. If it has a shelf life of 18 months in an un-opened container, it must have a shorter life in use exposed to a daily shot of oxygen, heat cycles, etc. Does that mean that Havoline turns to gell in the truck and should be drained in less than 18 months?
jb

Darned good question. Maybe actually running the engine and getting the stuff circulating prevents it from gelling. It could last longer in the truck than on the shelf.

/ Does antifreeze have a shelf life? #17  
Dave and John -- you missed the advertising -- Halvoline has no/low silicates and therefore lasts 8 years or more!! Its that other stuff that only lasts 18 months!!!:rolleyes:---sorry I'm callin B.S. on that deal. If an antifreeze jelled on me after 18 months I'd be using another brand and I'm betting most distributors would be too.

/ Does antifreeze have a shelf life? #18  
It doesn't happen overnight. What they are trying to say in so few words is that at 18 months the silicate can start to gel. It may take years for you to see noticeable deposits of silicate gel.

I keep a couple of bottles of Cummins Silicate additive (it's a specialty pure silicate additive for converting antifreezes that really wouldn't concern anyone here) in stock and have noticed that it does start to noticeably gel after about 2 1/2 years.

The point is if it is a silicate based antifreeze it will gel at some point. Low silicate antifreezes you would probably never notice it and there would be no concern with no silicate antifreezes.

CurlyDave - That is my understanding. Circulating it through the system prevents the large gel formations from occuring.