Does antifreeze have a shelf life?

/ Does antifreeze have a shelf life? #1  

ccsial

Veteran Member
Tractor
(Kuboto L3400) (Ford 1900 4WD w/FEL) (Deere X748SE) All bought new
I have 4 gallons of un-opened antifreeze about five years old. There is no date code on the containers. I would think it is fine but I wonder if that is true. Anyone know for sure?

/ Does antifreeze have a shelf life? #2  
What a great question. I have heard a six month or one year shelf life but couldn't find anyone with first-hand experience. Didn't know if that meant sealed or open containers or even if true or false.
Someone here will know these answers.

/ Does antifreeze have a shelf life? #3  
I'm gonna throw this out here, not because I really know, but from a common sense point. You leave it in your vehicle for years... right? just check the SG every fall... Sounds reasonable...

/ Does antifreeze have a shelf life? #4  
I'm a retired chemical engineer. I don't see any reason why the antifreeze should go bad.

Ralph

/ Does antifreeze have a shelf life? #5  
A sealed container of antifreeze will be good. Opened may go bad at some point

jb

/ Does antifreeze have a shelf life? #6  
If you bought it its still good. Passing it on to future generations may be an issue.
larry

/ Does antifreeze have a shelf life? #7  
Auto parts stores sell "anti-rust and water pump lubricant" in about a 12 oz container. It might not hurt to add one of these to a gallon.

I don't think the glycol would go bad, but some of the additives might have a shelf life.

/ Does antifreeze have a shelf life? #8  
"What is the shelf life of Prestoneョ Antifreeze/Coolant?
A. If the product is still in the original sealed container then it has a shelf life of many years. If the product has been opened and has not been diluted with water then it also has a shelf life of many years."
From the Prestone website
regards

/ Does antifreeze have a shelf life? #9  
I agree an unopened jug of antifreeze, motor oil, hydraulic fluid, brake fluid, ATF, should be good for a long long time. With the container being sealed there should not be any breakdown of the fluids. I have seen older folks that have oil and stuff that is in cardboard type cans. Don't know how old those type of cans are but they are still using the whatever happens to be in them without any problems.