Acres per hour to bush hog?

/ Acres per hour to bush hog? #21  
Well, I hate to shoot holes in your theory, but I'm gonna. My son-in-law has a Kubota 7510 (???) and a 4' KK mower he uses to mow a 7-1/2 acre piece of ground behind his house. He ROUTINELY averages better than 1.5 acres per hour.

:rolleyes:

5280*4*4=84,480 square feet (approximately 2 acres)

no overlap, no time spent turning, no time spent doing anything but driving and perfectly with no overlap at all.

5280*4*3.5=73920 (1 and 2/3 acres), 6" overlap, no time spent turning, corners, trees, nothing.

/ Acres per hour to bush hog?
A little clarification: in tall weeds with only 20hp and a 4-ft mower, I found it difficult to make full-width cuts without lugging the engine severely. I had to make about 2 to 3 ft wide cuts in order to get decent ground speed in that situation.

I'm about to buy a bush hog, so I'm wondering if I shouldn't get a 5'. If the grass is high like you say I would need to take smaller bites anyway. My tractor has a loader so I'm not worried about the weight.

/ Acres per hour to bush hog? #23  
I'm about to buy a bush hog, so I'm wondering if I shouldn't get a 5'. If the grass is high like you say I would need to take smaller bites anyway. My tractor has a loader so I'm not worried about the weight.

Bigger is always better even if it only reduces your overlap of coverage. That's where most of the wasted time goes. The first mowing is usually very thick while the other ones diminish. The wider mower is very helpful later in the season.

/ Acres per hour to bush hog? #24  
20 hp tractor and 5 ft hog might not get along that well,sometimes. Its not the weight,its the pto hp that might get you.

You got to work with what you got[either that or buy something else.]

Besides,difference between 4 and 5 ft is,not much in time[and yeah,a foot].

Somebodys probably got a formula for that? What would it be,5 min on an acre?

/ Acres per hour to bush hog? #25  
I have a Kubota l4400 with a 5' landpride and get 1 1/2 acres per hr unless
ground is really smooth and i can use 1st high, then a little more..
So i am thinking with a 4' hog, probably 1 to 1 1/4 per hr..

Hope this helps..

Bob..

/ Acres per hour to bush hog?
Decided on the 4' KK. TSC had the XB and regular yellow, I bought the yellow one since it looked like it would last longer.
Thanks for your responses. greatly appreciated. :)

/ Acres per hour to bush hog? #27  
20 hp tractor and 5 ft hog might not get along that well,sometimes. Its not the weight,its the pto hp that might get you.

You got to work with what you got[either that or buy something else.]

Besides,difference between 4 and 5 ft is,not much in time[and yeah,a foot].

Somebodys probably got a formula for that? What would it be,5 min on an acre?

For 1 acre my calculation shows
4 ft = 35 min
5ft = 28 min
6 ft = 23 min
8 ft = 17 min
10 ft = 13 min

I use 4 mph and deduct 6" for overlap. It is a rosy estimation as it does not account for turns and obstacles.

/ Acres per hour to bush hog? #28  
Man,I'm good,me and Jethro went to same school you know.

/ Acres per hour to bush hog? #29  
Remember to do what Flusher said about cleaning screen and radiator. I clean mine at least once a day. Friend of mine didn't and just about burned up tractor.

/ Acres per hour to bush hog? #30