Hiring out equipment questions

/ Hiring out equipment questions #21  
You go Mike,

Wishing you nothing but the best.

But be sure to listen close to the advice being given, these guys want you to succeed, but they also want you to be cautious and not get hurt too bad if everything does not go just right.

I want to do the same you are going to do but to a smaller scale, so I'm learning from this post and thanks for getting it started.

Good luck Mike,

Joel

/ Hiring out equipment questions #22  
There's a lot of well meaning advice here however if our ancester cavemen worried about the possiblity of a sabertooth outside his cave we'd never have landed on the moon. Yes $^#* can happen but only the brave get ahead... or die.

/ Hiring out equipment questions #23  
There's a lot of well meaning advice here however if our ancester cavemen worried about the possiblity of a sabertooth outside his cave we'd never have landed on the moon. Yes $^#* can happen but only the brave get ahead... or die.

/ Hiring out equipment questions
Bob....could not agree more...sometime you just gotta talk a calculated risk!

I have picked up good information, I have been working on my business plan for many months, talked with a ton of folks from lawyers, accountants, bankers....have most of the bases covered. Doesn't hurt that I have 25+ years in the transportation industry, towed everything from motorcycles to tractor trailers!

/ Hiring out equipment questions #25  
I gave you good advice, considering I do this for a living (not much of a living)
You have choosen to refute it all and tell me I'm wrong. I'm not going to get in an argument with you.
I'm there and doing that and it's all true.

good luck, come talk to us in 2 years, ok?

Tell us how that $50/hour rate is holding up for you and how you are living off the sales and income from your business. No other income allowed.

BTW, CPA's don't know everything, my CPA (who's a darn good small business CPA) didn't even know about HVUT (and you should if you hold a CDL-A).

/ Hiring out equipment questions
Dear Lone Cowboy,

While I am most grateful for your input, I responded back with answers that I have obtaine through intense research as well as real life experiences.

I don't know where you are, it's a mystery, what works for me where I am may very well differ from your location. Like the insurance, my insurance is way less than yours, you quotes like 5000.00. THere may very well be a reason for that. Maybe the various types of equipment, maybe a claim or accident, the different region of the country plays into it, there are lots of variables that account for different rates.

I hope I don't come across as irrogant or demeaning, that is not me or my intent. I do take this extremely serious and I have put in oodles of time into this. I have not 100% decided on the $50 and hour that I had mentioned previously.

I do thank you for your input. Many folks just think that they can but a piece of equipment and the money is gonig to drop from the sky, while you and I both know this is nowhere near the truth!

Thanks,
Mike

/ Hiring out equipment questions #27  
The key is having a customer base that will pay enough to cover all the costs and enough profit to make it worthwhile. Sometimes it depends on the motivation of the person. I knew a guy who took over his father's excavation business. His heart wasn't in it. Took a viable business and tanked it in two years. But he made a huge amount of money selling land.

Another guy inherited his father's construction business. Good company, but the son's heart wasn't in it. Ended up liquidating what was left of what his father had built up over decades.

/ Hiring out equipment questions #28  
When a business is struggling, or at best, just treading water, all the nickel & dime operating expenses seem like virtual mountains. When the business is thriving, they're just one more step in the bigger picture. As you go along, there will always be new expenses and old ones that appear out of nowhere. Having a strong customer base, being dedicated to the work ethic required, and keeping overhead down are keys to success.

Nothing succeeds like success.

My mowing business is doing very well. That said, I'm NOT looking at it as if I have it made. Keep digging. Keep the nose to the grindstone. Don't become complacent. ANY business can make it. ANY business can fail. I'm of the belief that a really good businessman can make it in spite of bad times, possibly more so than "making it" in GOOD times. Stay lean. Stay dedicated.

If I have a "trick", it's good time management. I try hard to make certain that as many as possible of the hours my crews are on the clock are billable hours. (OR, income generating hours in the case of contracted work) Treading water won't feed the bulldog.

Low prices are extremely attractive in this day and age. It's a giant misconception that most customers care so much about how shiney your equipment is, how "GQ" your uniforms are, or how spectacular your website is. You're moving dirt, or mowing weeds, or whatever your bailywick is, NOT trying to impress the guys at the country club. Nice dependable, efficient equipment is a good thing. The latest and greatest high tech equipment is simply an extravagence in many cases. If you're rolling in cash, go for it. If you're trying to create an image, go for all the bells and whistles. If you're trying to establish a strong, successful business that's in it for the long haul, concentrating on "image" can be a giant buzz kill.

JMHO, and worth just about what it cost you.

/ Hiring out equipment questions #29  
Good luck MikeB64. Ugly, mostly unexpected and expensive things will rare there heads. School of hard knocks has taught me. My "tractor work" side is not a main source of income and my overhead not as high as some, But I have found price of operating runs close to the same as other outfits with all the bells and whistles. Some even try to low ball some jobs, I know, But operation cost the same. It don't really work though, it cost them the same. They just sacrificed somthing elts, wages or what ever.