FELs arn't worth the risk!

/ FELs arn't worth the risk! #11  
Re: FELs arn\'t worth the risk!

<font color=blue>Might want to make a mod to your signature then eh!</font color=blue>

You got me there Kevin. I looked high and low but couldn't find the right graphic with a FEL. I'm not artistic enough to make one!!!!/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ FELs arn't worth the risk! #12  

Tony,

I'm only yankin' your chain /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif I like your sig....I'm so artistic I can't even steal one!!!

Kevin

/ FELs arn't worth the risk! #13  

Well,Tbone

As usual, the other guys have already said it all. I am currently looking for a tractor, and wanted to keep costs down, so I was going 2wd/no loader. My uses are like yours. Everyone, including non tractor owners, not only tried to dissuade me from going loaderless, but also to hold out for the 4wd. At first I assumed it was "lemming" behavior. For instance, I'm not a big believer in 4wd trucks, either, having had a couple in both 2wd & 4wd. Most of the big 4wds I see are parking lot queens, and I believe that the "nut behind the wheel" is the most important part of operating any piece of machinery.

Yeah, I still drool over the new diesels, but it's my intention to aquire a good tractor, truck, and 2-axle trailer for the price of a standard model new truck (~$20, +/-). The tractor will consume half of that.

A dealer made the most significant comment regarding 4wd tractors: they design them lighter and stronger (I am still using weight as a indication of ruggedness), and therefore have more power available for working, due to 4wd. I hadn't even considered that. The pics and comments about using the loader to knock down stuff while bush hogging did occur to me, and I have 0 hours experience with 'hogging (unless you count the Craftsman lopping shears and the beat up McCulloch we used to hand clear a couple acres),

The one thing I would say is that it appears to be best to try to get the loader with the tractor; even as useful as they are, they're one of the most expensive pieces of utility equipment I've seen (ie, excluding balers, etc, etc).

Just my $0.02

Mark

/ FELs arn't worth the risk! #14  

I can't imagine being without an FEL. I use the forks instead of the bucket to load logs and handle full 55 gal drums. After using the forks to move brush, I had a slip on rack made out of tubing.

The rack is 8' long by 8' wide and has a 5' "headboard". "U" shaped straps welded on the bottom let me drive up and insert the forks. A common tiedown rachet strap secures the rack. With the rack I can move huge amounts of brush and hay whether loose or baled.

You do have to mind the FEL in tight situations. As long as the ground is fairly level, many times raising the FEL fixes clearances problems.

/ FELs arn't worth the risk! #15  

I also had a time deciding to go with the FEL or not when I made my purchase. If it wasn't for the easy on and off I probably wouldn't have (can be removed or installed in under 5 minutes). It is 1 of the most useful pieces of equipment you can have. Though on mine I made a weight that can be left on the front with the FEL on or off. Made life much easier.

/ FELs arn't worth the risk! #16  

TBone
If you enjoy doing all 5 things on your list, then don't get a FEL. It will for sure reduce the percentage of time you will be doing 1 - 5. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

/ FELs arn't worth the risk! #17  

YEP! that heading got my attention REAL QUICK./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif but if u have not missed the fel as of this time then i guess u reallydon't need one. me on the other hand could not be without one. you buy and use WHAT U NEED, not what others use the most., or can't be without.

/ FELs arn't worth the risk!

<font color=blue>I'm forever throwing rocks, branches, etc in the FEL while I'm bush hogging. Where do you put that stuff? </font color=blue>

Kevin,

I just realized I never did answer your question. I am not blessed/cursed with rocks (as in 0 rocks). As for the branches, I grind em up with the bush hog. I have a heavy duty 6' Howse that will chew up anything the Bota can push over.

Mark,

I agree with your assessment of the 4wd. If had bought a loader I would have looked at them. I didn't feel like I needed it without one. My land is as flat as my living room floor with few wet spots. So far I have never missed not having 4wd.

TBone

/ FELs arn't worth the risk! #19  

<font color=blue>I am not blessed/cursed with rocks (as in 0 rocks).

My land is as flat as my living room floor</font color=blue>

I SO can't relate, TBone! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Maybe if my property was a pool table like yours, I wouldn't need a FEL either.
wink.gif

/ FELs arn't worth the risk! #20  

My first tractor was a geared Cub 154 Loboy with a MMM and front blade. Blade and MMM couldn't be mounted at the same time. This unit was bought when we first built our house in '89, and it was all I figured I really needed. Main drawback was the amount of time and effort to swap MMM and blade. At that time, our 300' driveway wasn't paved, and it needed attention after any heavy rain. The blade wasn't the best tool for smoothing out the driveway, but it was handy for snow removal (chains definitely required with the 2WD machine. This is when I made the "driveway fixer" from a couple pieces of I-beam. This worked very well, and eliminated the need to swap MMM and blade except for Spring and Fall. Since the Cub had no 3PH, there was no easy way to lift the "driveway fixer", except manual labor.

Next tractor was the Ford 1210 (diesel 4WD Hydro w/ 3PH). Still have this one, but am planning on selling it. I had been frequenting used tractor lots looking for an older (small) farm tractor, and just stumbled into this one. At the time, 4WD wasn't something I needed as long as I had tire chains but I bought it anyway. The 3PH was the one thing I really wanted, so I could swap mower and blade without the hassle. The 3PH also made it a lot nicer to use the "driveway fixer" with a homemade lift boom. The addition of 3PH, hydro and 4WD with this tractor immediately became recognized as "necessities".

This Spring, after shopping around, decided on a B 7500 HST, FEL, another 3PH finish mower. To tell you the truth, although I thought a FEL would be nice to have, never really thought I'd get much use out of one. Turns out it was like many tools I got over the years - once I had access to one, it's hard to imagine NOT having one. I made a toothbar, and it has been quite useful too. In the last few weeks, I:

Refurbished our sand volleyball court (cleaned it up, and added 14 tons of new sand).

Stuffed the fencerow with a couple large branches that fell in storms (with the teeth, was able to pick up / drag / push the big limbs without even getting off the tractor.

Unloaded a bush hog from a trailer with no help other than the tractor.

Smoothed out damaged grass area along the road (State snowplow did it in)

Removed a fairly large tree that had gone Tango Uniform with just a few sawcuts. Again, the toothbar was a great help. Only had to chain and drag one piece of the tree.

Dug a large hole down to about 4' depth between the creek and the driveway to displace critters threatening to undermine the blacktop. Will backfill with mixture of dirt and old pieces of fencing and chicken wire (good suggestion by #2 Son) to make it harder for critters to get back to mining operations.

Will be spreading a tri-axle load of mulch in the near future.

I really like the rear-mount scraper for snow removal, but am looking forward to being able to deal with the occasional big snow with the FEL.

The FEL is on/off in a matter of 2 minutes, so it comes off when I'm not using it. It's quicker to put the loader on than to dig the wheelbarrow out of the shed. Don't know how I survived without one all these years. A couple years ago, my usage could have been listed as 99% finish mowing and 2% snow removal.......................chim