FELs arn't worth the risk!

/ FELs arn't worth the risk! #31  
Re: FELs arn\'t worth the risk!

Move/dump 18 yards of landscape mulch every spring.

Load flatbed trailer with horse manure, then drive to back of property and unload same.

Take cap on/off truck

Put 325 gal water tank in/out of pick up.

Lift hay to loft and be able to stack 8 high in barn.

Stack snow banks in winter.

Put wife in bucket to pick high apples

Spread 30 yards of wood footing for arena

Spread 90 ton of sand for outdoor arena

Move 15-20 yards of dirt while regrading pond banks.

Just a few things I've done with my loader. Guess I COULD have used a shovel and wheelbarrow to do all these things, after all they built the pyramids without a loader, but it SURE makes things a whole lot easier!!

/ FELs arn't worth the risk! #32  

I agree with all of you about the many uses for a FEL. There is however one item that I have not seen mentioned. I like to have it half or more full when I am doing a large brush pile burn. Just my little securtiy blanket.

Don

/ FELs arn't worth the risk! #33  

As others have indicated, it really depends on your needs. Most of my work with my tractor is in and around trees and bushes or close to fences and a FEL would be cumbersome to work with. For moving dirt and gravel I use a rear scoop, for lifting I have a rear-mounted crane, and for carrying I have a rear-mounted platform. HOWEVER, there are definitely times when a FEL would be handy for moving things. The rear scoop and platform don't lift things as high as desired at times, and I get a stiff neck from backing into dirt or gravel piles to load the scoop. On the other hand, I am able to store the tractor and implements in limited space and the tractor is always easy to service. FELs are wonderful and if the day comes that I see a serious need for one, I'm going to buy one (if I can find an after-market one for my tractor).

/ FELs arn't worth the risk! #34  

My family owns a dairy farm and on it they have 3 big John Deere's. In my mind, nothing would look sillier than a front loader on them. I have seen others with loaders on their 95+ HP tractors, but I prefer using the Bobcat for cleaning out the freestall barn. (I sure as heck wouldn't load manure with my nice compact). Ha. Ha.

/ FELs arn't worth the risk! #35  

Well, my 2 cents worth is this: I priced my new tractor without a loader last fall. The dealer was very surprised but cooperated and gave the bid without it. I later added the FEL. Before purchasing I was like you, listing the jobs for the tractor. What I didnt know, is that the loader would become the most valuable and most used attachment of all. In fact, I have over 60 hours on the tractor and have yet to run the MMM. I have used the tractor and loader to build a shed for storage of the tractor and other things. I built several special attachments to add to the versatility of the FEL, like a personnel cage for high-up construction work, a tined brush-handling bucket replacement with hydraulic grapple, a gin pole to get the trusses and tall poles set. I guess what I'm saying is that your plans will change IF you have a loader. You will find yourself asking "How can I make this task easier by using the tractor?", and the answer will, more times than not, include use of the loader. Put another way: If you buy a FEL, you will never be without one again.

/ FELs arn't worth the risk! #36  

I'd also hate to be without my FEL but I have to say I think I've used my backhoe at least as much. That is something I tried not to purchase when I was negotiating my tractor deal but the seller didn't want to try to sell the BH without the tractor so I ended up taking it. Not a week has gone by since that I haven't been thankful for his intransigence.

/ FELs arn't worth the risk! #37  

INTRANSIGENCE......Good, Gary..Is that contagious? Hope my dealer doesn't get it..or give it to me.
Gene (in Indiana too)

/ FELs arn't worth the risk! #38  

Every once in a while all those years spent in school come back to haunt me. I've been told that they mostly haunt others, though. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ FELs arn't worth the risk! #39  

We bought our NH TC33D tractor with the FEL installed. Not a day goes by that I don't find something to haul, lift, roll over, knock down, or use as an elevated platform with the FEL. Weve put over 250 hrs on the machine in the first year and more than half have involved using the FEL in some capacity. We have/had a small Yanmar w/o the FEL and were never able to accomplish all that needed to be done on the property. My vote goes to the FEL!!

PhilD

/ FELs arn't worth the risk! #40  

I even use mine as an 'obstacle detector' when I'm driving across unfamiliar ground covered by tall grass/brush, etc. I angle the bucket up ever so slightly and put the loader in the float position. I'll probably do the same thing when I brush hog new areas, too. It won't stop me from getting a flat tire on something but it sure will alert me to a stump before I hang up an axle or undercarriage or damage the mower on it.